Chapter 40: Ariella

Chapter 40 Ariella

My hand slipped its way into Alexander's as my eyes shifted to each bed. Men, women, and children moaned in pain, some of them shifted on occasion as they tried to get themselves comfortable. One child had a cloth tied around her head, holding a cloth to her cheek. I could only wonder what had happened to her and I fought the urge to go over there without permission.

Alexander's hand tightened around mine as he stooped next to me. "The Elder is in the back office."

"Elder?" I questioned and he nodded, chuckling softly as I stared at him in confusion.

"An Elder is the Healer's version of a Captain." He explained as he led me towards the back wall. "According to legend, the Healers refused to have someone be considered more important than the others. They believed that, since they all had the Power to Heal, no one should be considered better than another."

"So an Elder?"

"Was an elderly woman who had experience with patients and Healing." He glanced down at me and smiled. "Of course, this is all according to legend."

"Of course." I muttered and followed him as we weaved our ways around the beds. So the Healers never believed in someone being better than another? That everyone was equally important to them? If that was true, then if I had lived back then, they wouldn't have judged me if I was weaker than the others? Would the rest of the city believe that too or was it only the Healers.

"I'll be right behind you." Alexander's voice interrupted my thoughts, his gentle gaze looking down at me.

"What?"

"You should talk to the Elder before you try to tend to someone." He explained as he stepped behind me, his hand pressing at the small of my back. "I'll be right behind you."

"What do I say?" I demanded and tensed as I stared at the small wooden door in front of me. Overall, the oak door was unimpressive, just an average door that you see every day. It was what was behind it that worried me.

Alexander chuckled behind me as he reached forward, his arm passing my face as his knuckles rapped on the door.

"Enter!" A woman's voice responded and I glanced up at him and he smiled, his hand giving my shoulder a reassuring squeeze before pushing the door open and walking forward.

Two women stood by the desk. A young, thin blond with a quill and parchment and an elderly plump woman who held a pile of parchment in her hands. The girl looked up at us, her green eyes dancing with merriment as she curtsied and walked towards us. The room was filled with cupboards and bookshelves and the right side had three beds draped in white sheets.

"Farewell, madam. Until tomorrow." The girl called as she slipped past us and out the door.

"Who are you?" The elderly woman questioned. Her grey hair was pulled back and two needle like things stuck out from the back of her head. She wore a simple white dress that covered every inch of her.

"I am Ariella." I told her, my voice shaking slightly.

"A Mathews, then." The woman nodded and waved at us to come in and motioned for us to sit. "The boy is a Protector, that much is easy to tell. And your name, boy?"

"Alexander Morales." He answered and bowed. Her eyes narrowed slightly as they glanced between the two of us before shrugging slightly.

"How may I help you, Ariella Mathews, daughter of Captain Mathews." Her voice rung with authority, strength, and confidence while her eyes never strayed from my face.

"You see, I-" Glancing back at Alexander, nerves flowing through me, causing my mouth to dry up. Alexander nodded, encouraging me to speak up and I took a deep breath in attempts to calm myself.