Chapter 3: Ariella

Chapter 3 Ariella

            It was dark when I was finally finished. The Queen had insisted that I soaked in the tub for a short while before continuing with washing myself. When I was done, she gave me a small light blue dress to wear. When I put it on I realized that the dress went all the way down to the ground and sleeves that stopped at my wrists. Once I was dressed, she led me over to a stool and stepped behind me. She brushed through my hair and was gentle as she battled the knots. Finally, she was content with my hair and pulled me over to the table on the far side where she gave me a pair of simple brown shoes that were a little big on me but not to big that I couldn't walk. She also wrapped a cloak around me and lifted the hood to make sure that it would cover my face to protect me from the wind and from being spotted from my old troupe members.

            We walked back to the Queen's room and I looked around for my parents when we walked inside. It took me less than a moment to see that they were at the window talking to the King in hushed voices. I started to walk forward when the Queen grabbed my hand.

            "Oh, this welcoming committee! It kills me!" She swooned and turned back to the door. "Come, Ariella, we must try this again!"

            "Really, Michelle?" The King shook his head as I stared at her in confusion.

            "Yes, Stephen?" The Queen batted her eyes.

            "We shall continue talking about this in the morning." The King said to my parents. "Go home, spend time with your daughter, and you all get a good night's rest. That's an order."

            "Thank you, your majesty." Mother laughed. "And, again, we apologize for causing you more issues."

            "Yes, well." The King shrugged. "In all honesty, I am sure my wife and I would have done the same if the roles were reversed. The good thing is, is it all worked out for the best. We can only hope tomorrow does as well."

            "I'm sure it will." Father grinned and he bowed to the King. "Until tomorrow, my lord."

            "Good night, your majesty." Mother curtseyed and they walked up to me. Mother gave me a small hug and smiled. "You ready to go home?"

            "Mhm." I smiled in response.

            "Then let's go." She said and slipped her arm around my waist.

            "T-thank you for everything, your majesties!" I curtsied at them. "Thank you!" I said and allowed my mother to steer me out of the room. We were halfway down the hall when we heard someone run up from behind us.

            "Wait! Ariella!"

            Mother and I turned around and the Queen stopped in front of me and handed me a small vial. "Take a sip of this; it will negate the effects of the truth serum."

            I nodded slightly and took the vial. I opened it and took a small sip of it before giving it back to her. It had a sweeter taste than the other one but tickled on the way down.

            "Thank you, my lady." I curtsied.

            "I almost forgot." She patted my head with a smile. "Now, shoo. Off with you, child. Go on home and get some rest, tomorrow is a brand new day, after all." She smiled softly at me. "I shall see you again, my dear. You mustn't worry."

            "I won't." I promised.

            "Good!" She laughed. "Good night, my dear. Until we meet again!" She gave me a small hug before walking away.