Chapter 88: Alexander

Chapter 88 Alexander

Silence flooded the street, everyone staring at Ariella, unable to believe what had happened. My body was frozen, unable to move as I stared at where she lay, unable to tell if she was dead or alive. This wasn't fair. She never did anything to deserve, to deserve the abuse or to be killed. It didn't make sense.

A squeal of laughter echoed in my ears, bouncing off the buildings and surrounding us. It was like the spell was broken and I was finally able to move. My eyes shot over to the leader, hatred flooding through me as I watched her laugh menacingly.

"Ariella." Mrs. Mathews whispered, her knees collapsing beneath her as she fell beside her daughter, her hands patting Ariella's face as she if she thought that would change anything.

"It's pointless, Maranda!" The leader laughed brightly. "You know how my attacks are. The girl is dead. She is finally dead!" Her eye glinted merrily as her hand rose slightly, her eyes transitioned to a dark blue. "Let's finish this."

I rushed forward, jumping between them, my sword pointed upwards. "Sounds good to me."

"You don't stand a chance against me, boy. Unless you want to end like your lover." She sneered at the last word, her eyes glinting dangerously as her hand shot upwards, calling at the water that flowed beneath her feet, preparing for an attack I knew I wouldn't survive.

But it didn't move.

Disbelief flooded both of their faces, mine as well, as the water refused to move. A small splash beside me and I glanced over to see Maranda standing beside me, her sword poised for action.

"It seems you're unable to fight with water." Her words were cold, lifeless, not that I could blame her after what had happened. But I could see the disbelief in her eyes as well, neither of us understanding what's happening.

Marah's eyes narrowed darkly as she turned to the two of us, her fingers encasing the hilt of her sword as she ripped it from her sheath, uncertainty dancing in her eyes. A moment passed and she rushed forward, her sword brandishing in front of her. I took a step forward, preparing myself.

A flash of brown hair appeared before me, a clang of metal on another and Mrs. Mathews stood before me, her sword high in the air, locked with Marah's.

"I don't care if you saw me as your daughter." She snapped, her sword slashing in the air, knocking the other out of the way. "You're nothing more than a monster and the only thing I regret was coming to you for help when my mother was murdered."

Marah shoved herself backwards, narrowly missing the blade that swiped past her neck. Mrs. Mathews pressed forward, her sword striking one after another, each one planned before the other was finished.

I really had gotten lucky when I beat her all those months ago.

"Alexander!" Thomas's voice shouted behind me and I turned to see Hern lifting his bow, pointing the arrow at Mrs. Mathews' back.

His arm pulled back and I jumped forward, my sword slicing through the air, knocking the arrow as it tried to fly past.

"Didn't anyone ever tell you only a coward attacks someone who has their back turned?" I reminded him, stepping between him and the two women. I couldn't get involved in that fight, no matter how much I wanted to. That was a battle Mrs. Mathews had to handle on her own, something she had to do if she'd ever be able to move past what had happened today. But this one. This one is mine.

"Didn't anyone ever tell you that you really were useless?" He snickered as he pounded forward, his fingers clinging to a small knife that glinted in the light as he swung it wildly.