Chapter 23 Ariella

Chapter 23 Ariella

So it really is true. The thought crossed my mind for the thousandth time, the doubt never wavering. The people of this place really believed that the Power of Healing was so important. If they knew, I wouldn't be hated.

The realization was like nothing I knew before. Like a sense of relief enveloped me, clinging onto me like it needed to stay. My hands rose to eye level and I looked at them, the small creased marks that were etched into my skin and my short, thin fingers.

Could I really be the one that they want? The one that can Heal their people? Is that really what I was born to do?

I wasn't sure how I knew, but I did. This is what I am supposed to do, I'm supposed to Heal, to use my Power to help others. But did I have it in me?

My fingers curled inwards, my nails dug into my skin. Was there any way to know that I was the one they needed? Was there any way of knowing how to do it? How to Heal? Were there books that I could read and learn from like I do when I cook? Or was this something you had to learn on your own?

I knew that Robert would know, but he was working and wouldn't be back until later tonight. If there were any books, they'd be at the library and Brittney did tell me that it was open for everybody.

A folded parchment called for my attention from the table and I walked over to it, my hand grasping onto it as I made up my mind.

Here, my Power meant something. I meant something to my family. I could do this. I had to do this.

*****************************************************************************************

The vastness of the building took my breath away; it made me feel like I was small and insignificant. The smooth stone reflected back a distorted version of the way I looked, my face and the top of the dress was nothing but a blur while the hem had a small haze.

My eyes lifted to the marble columns, how they stacked up on one another, and the metal fencing on each of the five floors. The shelves filled both sides of the rooms and lined the walls and I could only imagine how many books there were upstairs. How would I ever find anything here?

A blond girl about my age came out from some of the bookshelves on my right and froze when she saw me. My cheeks flushed warmly as I saw that she wasn't looking away, my hand rose and twirled the ends of my hair.

"Are you lost?" The girl called as she walked up to me, a gentle smile on her face. She tilted her head to the side and smiled when I nodded, her lips parted again. "Well, what are you looking for? I'd love to help."

"I-I'm-" I took a deep breath, trying to calm myself and get control of my breathing. She only asked a question, that's all. It was going to be fine, it will always be fine. "I'm look for books."

"Well what kind of books?"  She asked, her silver-blue eyes studying me.

"About Healers of Water."

"Are you studying them too?" She exclaimed, her hands lashed out and encased mine. She yanked them up to her chin and pressed them together, her eyes sparkled brightly.

"Too?"

"Of course!" She laughed. "Oh, I'm Shanae. I'm an Air." She gave my hands a gentle squeeze before stepping back. "All the Healer books are upstairs, my friends are already up there, you're more than welcome to join us!"

"I-I don't want to interrupt." I could feel myself blushing as I tucked my hands back behind me. The girl's smile never wavered as she looked at me, a knowing smile. Her hand whipped out again as she stepped forward. Her arm wrapped itself around my shoulders while her other arm was pointing at the wall across from us. "The stairs are over there and the Healer books are way at the top, in the far corner." Her arm slowly shifted to the right corner behind me. "Come on, you should come with me. My friends would love if you joined."