Chapter 51: Alexander

Chapter 51 Alexander

"Well, if you promise to take it easy, you can go home now and be with your family." The nurse explained, her voice dancing with irritation as she dressed the cut on my back.

"I'll be fine." I grumbled, wanting to leave and get back with my family. The sooner I recovered, the sooner I could see Ariella again, but I knew that the healers here didn't have enough time to actually do their job correctly. After that last attack, the injured toll doubled and the hospital was overflowing again.

"If you're sure, then go ahead." The woman told me as she whipped around, her black her flowing behind her. My eyes shifted to the wall and the thick brown cane my mother and father had brought for me. I knew that I needed to use it to walk, but that didn't mean that I was going to be happy about it.

Hobbling my way through the beds and over to the far door, I slipped through the opening and walked forward, towards the front door to head back home.

"Alex!" A familiar voice echoed throughout the hall, happiness dancing in the words. Carefully turning myself around, I watched as Ariella walked down the stairs, her hand clenching onto the railing beside her and Shanae and Isabella walked close behind her.

"Ariella." She was still terribly pale, exhaustion mixed with the happiness in her eyes as she walked closer to me, her smile filled with as much enthusiasm as ever.

"Is it true? Did my parents really say that we could continue talking?" She demanded, her eyes filled with hope as she clasped her hands tightly in front of her.

"Aye." I watched as the smile on her face expanded, a small sparkle twinkle in her eye at my response and I couldn't help but laugh. Her cheeks flushed brightly and her eye glanced away and I knew I had embarrassed her. Stepping closer, my hand latched around her wrist and gently pulled her into me. Sliding my arm around her waist, I held her close, hugging her as tightly as I could without hurting her. "I missed you." I whispered as I pressed my lips against the top of her head.

"I was worried about you." She mumbled awkwardly, her feet shuffling slightly and I chuckled. She wasn't sure what to say and I wasn't that surprised. She was sick for a good length of time and more than likely didn't have the awareness to miss me.

"I'm fine, they're letting me go home so I was heading out." I told her, allowing my arm to slip off and watched as she stepped back.

"Can you even walk that far?" Shanae demanded, her arms crossed in front of her and her eyes sparkled dangerously.

"Who knows, worth a shot, eh?" I laughed as the irritation rolled from Shanae as she stalked towards me.

"And what? You plan on walking here every day to see Ariella? With your injuries, you'll be lucky if you don't end up in the hospital, again!" She exclaimed, her finger jamming its way, rather painfully, into my chest.

"That's the plan." I told her as I tried to rub the pain away as she glared at me.

"You have got to be the stupidest man I have ever seen!" Shanae's hands shot up in the air in a sign of defeat and stalked away, her fists clenched at her side. I chuckled again as I turned to Ariella who was staring up at me with her worry filled-eyes.

"What's wrong?"

"If you're hurting, you shouldn't push yourself because of me." She mumbled, her eyes glancing away. A small part of me felt horrible for her. Even after everything she has gone through since coming here, after all the things I had done for her, Ariella still couldn't see how special she really was.

My hand rose to her cheek, my thumb lightly brushing against it. "If I don't come to see you here, how else would I get to spend time with you?"

Bewilderment filled her eyes as they shot up to stare at me, her mouth opened slightly in surprise.