⤿ twenty-six

"I need you to train Jason Todd

"I need you to train Jason Todd." Were the words that slipped from Bruce Wayne's lips. The one condition to reopen Titan's Tower. Sure, at that time Artemisia and Dick agreed with no hesitation, wishing nothing more than offering all four teenagers a roof and proper training. A team ( this term had only popped into Artemisia's mind, for Dick was still struggling with the word ).

But the kid was a wreck. Especially when he got to his head that Batman had shoved him aside. His mood wasn't usually bright, it was a known fact, but getting that dark idea of Bruce only made it worse. And it mirrored in everyone else ( when they were around him ) and his violent training.

The perfect example occurred at noon, back in the training room. Artemisia stood before Jason, glare sharp like daggers. The boy had gotten on her nerves all morning, this was her opportunity to get payback. But he was also in a bad mood and the fight became too personal. Dick had begun to mumble warnings, keeping them both on edge.

However, Dick would not relieve either from stress. Only winning this fight could. Loud smacks sounded on the large area as they fought for dominance. Artemisia was precise and quick. Jason was strong and sharp. The fight felt like an eternity. They danced around, utilizing all spaces. Sweat ran down their skins, irritating them further.

Artemisia shook her head, redirecting a tear of sweat that trekked to her eye. Jason took that split second to aim anywhere. Her neck. The only open space she had allowed. She had had no time to react. It was off-limits.

A third staff interrupted the sparring session. It whacked against the air around Artemisia's ear. She recoiled in fear, letting out a small shriek. She turned to Dick, ready to yell at him for almost cracking her neck. But when she did, the situation before her became clear. Her head snapped towards the younger boy. "You little shit!"

"Artemisia─"

"No, Dick, let her. The fight was getting boring anyway." Dick's arm kept them separated. Jason smirked down at her from his safe position. It only made Artemisia angrier. This fight was far from over. The boy took a step closer. "I want you to give me everything you've got. Use your powers, go on. I'll still beat your ass."

Dick's arm was slapped out of the way. "Keep dreaming, bird boy," Artemisia hissed, getting into position to summon every last drop she could muster. Hands extended to both sides, legs at shoulders' width, and eyes staring at the sparkling lights, ready to absorb their energy. But the lights remained lights, and no fire caressed her skin.

She was empty. How could that be? Even on the most isolated nights, the fire would appear when she allowed it to. Now, it was nothing but a saddening memory.

She tried a second time, pushing her willpower. Again, nothing. She attempted a third, cursing whatever entity granted her powers. But the aura of fire did not even appear to punish her. Artemisia strangled an anguished cry. What would she do now? There would be no more backup plan. Only one life to waste.