⤿ eighteen

Artemisia huffed, quickly running her sweating fingers through her dark locks, she glanced down at her phone, looking at the time

Artemisia huffed, quickly running her sweating fingers through her dark locks, she glanced down at her phone, looking at the time. Only two minutes had gone by of the five they had provided Rachel with the man. Every second she grew more anxious about their decision, fearing the man would hurt her. She took a deep breath and frowned upon herself for worrying about the time. Five minutes was not long enough for something terrible to happen.

She seized the glass of water Dick had set in front of her. The liquid danced left and right as her shaking hands moved the drink towards her lips. She gulped it down instantly, swallowing hard, the noise audible for the man sitting across from her.

"She'll be fine. We have to trust her," Dick reassured, trying to calm her nerves. His own stress had been relieved once he returned from his personal mission, tying up some loose knots from the past. He seemed more positive about their situation, and no longer was he bothered by everything.

Robin put down her glass, controlling her breath to calm the rapid palpitations of her heart. "I do trust her. It's him I don't."

He understood perfectly, for the same preoccupation crept through his neck, only he concealed it better. His mouth did not let out another word, leaving the kitchen in silence, a comfortable one, in which she comprehended his posture on the matter. A shy smile slowly appeared in her round face, using it as a wordless method to thank his presence.

Just as Dick was about to give her a strange sight, a smile on his face, a scream came from the bathroom, where Rachel was talking with the man. Both of their lips parted in horror, standing up in fear. And when they thought their beating hearts could not go any faster, the girl managed to make them race, the pumping of their blood audible in their ears. "Dick! Robin! Come here!"

"What'd he do―" Artemisia stormed first into the bathroom, pushing the door open with her entire body. Her heart went from racing to not beating at all, at least for one second, at the horrifying sight. The old man sat on the shower floor, smiling and touching the pool of blood that sat on his throat. "What happened?" She almost whispered, still shocked to see the exact opposite view of what she expected.

Rachel took several steps back, hands trembling at the sight of blood in her palms and fingers. Her pale skin turned even lighter as she faced Dick, an expression of terror plastered upon her sweet face. "He made me heal him. H-he tried to kill himself and I―" a ragged breath escaped her plump lips, her eyes reflecting her emotions. Fear, trauma, sadness.

"Why don't you go with Gar?" Dick suggested, nudging the girl towards the sink so she could wash her hands. "We'll talk to him."

Rachel simply nodded, patting her hands dry against the white towel, leaving a peachy trail behind. "Leave it to us, Dick. If anyone can make him talk, it's us," he looked between Kory and Zach, who had volunteered to do the job.

For a moment, he glanced at Robin, who pulled Rachel away from the mess, towards the place Garfield was waiting. Assuming his role in making sure the girl was fine, he did not argue about the idea. "Okay, just don't kill him, too."