⤿ forty

WARNING: This chapter contains a major spoiler for the book Tender Is The Flesh

WARNING: This chapter contains a major spoiler for the book Tender Is The Flesh. I'll mark ( • ) the small part you need to skip to avoid the spoiler.

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

Six pairs of footsteps stormed over the memory of the shocking night. They walked over the blood-stained floors with no awareness of Bruce's entire confession, of his breakdown. But Artemisia did, the sight burned into her brain; watching a hero fall like that could not be forgotten overnight. She stepped around the evidence, catching up with the team.

They had gathered before the ancient clock as the final exhibition of the tour. The two boys at the front glanced at each other, eyebrows knitted together, many questions behind their eyes. Dianna grinned at their confusion, turning over her heels, gesturing to the wooden artwork.

"And lastly, what you've been waiting for: the main entrance to the Batcave. Hidden in plain sight." Her fingers manipulated the hands of the clock, setting them to a specific time. The door unlocked, revealing a staircase to the cave. "Still can't believe I walked past this clock for half of my life and didn't notice."

The enthusiastic teens ( plus a hesitant Marge ) stepped through the secret entrance, their jaws on the floor. Their feet raced to get down the stairs and marvel at the wonders. The older members took things slower, not easily amazed by the vigilante's relics.

"I imagined it would be darker," Marge commented shyly. Lucky for her, Garfield and Conner were too stunned by their surroundings to pay her attention.

But Dianna did listen. She fell back with her sister. "According to Dick, it was. But as more people got involved, well, they needed to see where they were going." Her sharp gaze shot towards the pair ahead, raising her voice. "Don't touch anything!"

Garfield jumped away from the exhibited weapon. "Wasn't going to," he scoffed and resumed wandering about.

Dawn Granger smiled at the situation ahead, hoping to share her amusement with Artemisia. The woman was far from amused, gazing at the floor, wishing to be as happy. The blonde slowed down, caressing Temi's arm. Her brows were drawn together, trying to read her expression. "You're awfully quiet. Did the League cut your tongue?"

"No, it's. . ." She wanted to laugh at the joke but only managed a short snort before feeling drained. "We argued the other night. Apparently, he doesn't trust me anymore. I'm only here because you guys do."

Kory towered next to the duo, arms crossed. "I swear if he's back to being a dick─"

"Always is." Dawn pointed out with a laugh. The black woman shook her head with a chuckle. Temi. . . well, Temi couldn't force herself to laugh twice. She plastered a smile, hoping it would suffice. It didn't. "Anything else happened?"