⤿ forty-six

The team found themselves in the same awful situation

The team found themselves in the same awful situation. Dick standing at the front, the rest sitting down, waiting for him to inform the news. It couldn't be worse than what half of them had experienced out there. The people refused their presence in the streets; they didn't care if the Titans were there to help. In the eyes of the Gothamites, they were no longer heroes.

Dick cleared his throat. All heads turned to him. "I know what happened today affected all of you. Less than twenty-four hours ago those same people were your fans, they piled up for a chance to meet you. And now they want you out of their city. They don't want to hear about Batman and Robin, or Nightwing and his gang of Titans anymore.

"I talked to Barbara. We arranged a solution for everyone. Nothing's set yet, so if you don't like it, speak up." They shuffled in their seats, getting comfortable for what seemed to be an unpleasant announcement. Dick nodded at their silence. "People want us gone. There's wanted posters for us all over the city. So we do what they want. We turn ourselves in before this escalates any further."

"So we turn ourselves in and then what?"

"And then we post bail, continue doing our work, but in a less public way. Work in the shadows, take this city back night by night. It's not gonna be easy, and it's not gonna be fast, but we can do it." No one said a word. It wasn't ideal but they'd have to adjust. "If you have a better idea, please, now's the time."

Gar glanced around the group. The great Titans were reduced to hopeless faces. People's opinions fueled their energy. "They hate us."

"They've been manipulated into hating us. By Crane," Kory reminded with a frown. Garfield gave a sad shake of his head. He knew it would be nearly impossible to regain Gotham's admiration.

Dick moved his gaze to the other young members of the teams. "Conner, Blackfire, what do you think?"

Conner took a second before responding, struggling to find the right words to express how he was feeling. His tone was sad, tipping to frustrated. "It was brutal out there. I don't wanna be looked at like that again."

They nodded in understanding. The sudden change was tough to deal with. Their eyes darted to Blackfire. Her head was held high with pride. She wasn't bothered by people's reactions. "Surrender isn't my thing. But I am used to people looking at me like I'm a monster, so whatever you all decide on. . . I'm in."

"Kory?"

The woman sighed. It was a low blow to see the bright soul of the team become so blue. "We've played it by the book so far and this is where it's led us. So maybe you're right. Maybe we try a new way. I'm in."

Dick glanced at the remaining women sitting on the couch. One looked terrified, the other, strangely calm. "Temi? Dianna?"

The younger woman rose from the couch and spun around, facing the group. "I'm gonna have to cut the streak. I'm not handing myself over. I don't have a wanted poster, Fénix is not in Gotham. I can help from the outside, pay your bailouts. If people see me supporting you guys, maybe they'll change their minds."