⤿ forty-five

Burgundy and gold, an ostentatious structure that hugged her curves and created new shapes; Dianna found herself garmented with the most ridiculously sterling gown

Burgundy and gold, an ostentatious structure that hugged her curves and created new shapes; Dianna found herself garmented with the most ridiculously sterling gown. Microscopic sparks reflected the dim lighting of her room. She was stunning and pathetic; she loved and hated the attire.

"Is this the right choice?" She sighed, testing different angles, searching for the tiniest flaw that would make her ditch the dress and find an excuse to stay at the Manor.

The shuffling of her bedsheets caught her attention. She stared at the woman from the mirror. Blackfire pulled the covers further up into her naked chest, a smirk making its way into her dewy face. "I think you look amazing. Like a princess."

"Coming from royalty it feels like I'm being made fun of," Dianna said with a scoff, running her hands up and down the thick fabric. She hated that she adored this piece. A hypocrite wearing the finest clothes while preaching about poverty.

Blackfire let out a chuckle, throwing on her oversized shirt to leave the bed. "Maybe. Still, you look kittenish."

"Kittenish? That's a word I never thought I'd hear and I've heard some weird stuff from these people." As soon as those words left her mouth, his grin vanished. Here she was, before a grand mirror with a golden frame, styling a thousand dollars, in a millionaire's manor. She was part of 'these people' now, whether she liked it or not.

"What is it?"

Her hand clenched around the fabric of her skirt. "I hate pretending to be someone I'm not. Don't get me wrong, I love trying on dresses and decorating myself with pearls and golds. . . but becoming Dianna Wayne is horrible. I'm doing this for the citizens of Gotham, to make their lives better. Watching the city grow because of my actions is rewarding, it keeps me going. Still, I feel like a cheap version of Diana Spencer."

"Who's that?" Blackfire questioned as she stepped closer, towering over her smaller figure.

Dianna tried her best not to gawk, fixating her gaze on the dress. "She was a princess of the people. You should look into her." Her hand traveled to her empty neck, caressing the soft skin, picturing an endless list of accessories, the cherry on top. "I think Temi has a necklace that would go with this dress. And then, I'm heading out."

"Well, good luck." Blackfire's fingers traced over her shoulders, leaving goosebumps on its trail. Dianna closed her eyes, allowing herself to detach from worry. Just for one second. "I shall go to Conner's room."

"Please don't remind me of that."

The girl circled her, covering the mirror's view. Dianna was forced to look at her, blood rushing to her neck. "You've never done this, have you?"

"Sharing? Or sleeping with a girl? Cause I haven't done either."

Two hands cupped her cheeks. Dianna felt her entire face burning. It was warm, homey, safe. It made her want to stay, forget about the gala, leave everything behind for a few minutes under her touch. She reached to pull Blackfire away when the girl leaned in. A small kiss, then another. Sparks burst with each encounter of their lips.