⤿ thirty-two

Keep up the faith

Keep up the faith. Conner's your number one job. Call Bruce when he wakes up. Easy words for someone who's walking away from all his problems. Dick had left and so had Temi and Kory. Two teenagers were supposed to keep the place together and wait for the team to change their minds and return. If that ever happened.

The first was went by smoothly. Things were bland without the apartment being crowded. Privacy became a thing again. Gar had served them an energizing breakfast and lunch, Dianna had stuck with a warm, calming meal for the evening. They'd kept active, following Dick's daily training method to stay fit. Also, Conner was doing good. Dianna had gone to check on him and took the opening to appreciate his silent company as she read a novel.

When the alarm had buzzed at seven in the morning the next day, neither of them awakened. Gar had rushed into her room two hours later, fretted they'd jinxed their mission to keep the Titans alive. That day they had brunch, then a shorter period of practice, free time, loads of coffee, and a nap. Nothing felt worth staying awake for, except for reading yet another title to their unconscious inmate.

The third day was inaugurated with one mug of coffee to her bed ( bless Gar's hardworking ass ), then a second one as she listened to her friend plot their day; only hearing his voice was driving her insane. Was that an actual thing? Jack Torrance would agree. Fuck, wrong example.

"Listen, Gar," Dianna disrupted him, sipping the last of her dark brown liquid. He blinked at her, willing to hear any opinion. "Why do we need to follow a routine? We have the place to ourselves, no one to stop us from doing anything we want." A smirk sneaked to her face, cherishing one thing she used to love that was ripped away the moment she joined the Titans, and dying, too. "We could throw a party."

"Yeah, with all the friends we made since we got here─ Oh, wait."

She rolled her eyes, letting out a frustrated laugh. He was no fun and inexperienced, for sure. Dianna couldn't relate, being best friends with the rich kids at school had its social perks. "Parties don't have to be with friends."

"So you'd rather be drunk around a bunch of strangers?" Gar questioned, enlightening something she'd never considered. At least not all the way through. He appeared content when her grin sank. "Doesn't sound safe to me."

Head tilting to the side, she realized all the danger she'd put herself through all those years. Underage drinking was the least of her problems but she hadn't known it then. "Huh, no, it doesn't. Why didn't I think of that, like, ever?"

"So, routine it is?"

Dianna scrunched her nose, disgusted by the idea of keeping up with the teachings. The adults were gone, and though it upset her, she tried seeing the positive side. No one could force her to do anything. Not even Gar. She opened her mouth to tell him so.

The bell ringed. They couldn't pretend they weren't thrilled to see the team come back. Was it Kory? Maybe Temi, after she received her message that Dick left. They elbowed each other out of the way, hoping to be the first to welcome them back.