Chapter 4 (EDITED)

Edited: 26 July 2023

Izuku's heart was heavy as he sprinted to a remote location, tears streaming down his face and his breathing labored. He couldn't make sense of what he had overheard from All Might and Nezu. His terrified eyes trembled, and his entire body shook with emotion.

In a fit of frustration and desperation, he grabbed his hair and violently shook his head, as if trying to wake himself from a dreadful nightmare. Then, unable to contain his turmoil, he started punching himself, as if punishing himself for his unfortunate circumstances. Eventually, as he calmed down, he was left with blood dripping from his nose and forehead, a physical manifestation of the pain within.

Helplessly slumping down next to a wall, Izuku let out a sigh while laughing bitterly at his own naivety. He should have anticipated that such a fate awaited him. The trust he thought he had earned was shattered, and he felt like an outsider once again. Even All Might, whom he had revered as a father figure, had doubted him and agreed to expel him from U.A. in principle, simply to protect the school's image.

Alone and rejected, Izuku had accepted his fate. He felt unwanted, unloved, and abandoned by everyone around him. The pain of betrayal cut deep, leaving him scarred and broken. He was ready to give up One For All, the power he had worked so hard to earn, to Mirio, someone whom All Might deemed more deserving.

Just as he was about to walk away, someone blocked his path. It was Eri, looking worn out and concerned. Her presence brought a flicker of a smile to Izuku's face, and he quickly put on a facade of happiness. Eri, who had followed him to the remote location, approached him with genuine worry in her eyes.

"Deku-nii, are you okay?" Eri asked, her small voice filled with genuine concern.

Izuku tried to put on a brave front for her, forcing a smile, "I'm fine, Eri. Don't worry about me."

But Eri wasn't so easily fooled, tears welling up in her eyes, "No, you're not! I saw you running and crying. And those people said terrible things about you!"

His heart ached at the sight of her distress, and he felt a pang of guilt for trying to hide his pain from her. She had been through so much herself, and here he was, trying to shield her from his own struggles.

Taking a deep breath, Izuku reached out and gently brushed the tears from Eri's cheeks, "You're right, Eri. I was upset. But don't worry, I'll be okay."

Eri looked at him with a mix of determination and sadness, "Why are they saying those awful things about you? It's not fair!"

He gazed at Eri, her innocent eyes searching for answers, and realized that he needed to be honest with her.

Izuku sighed, trying to find the right words to explain, "Sometimes, people judge others based on things they don't understand. They fear what they don't know. And in my case, they're afraid because of who my father is."

Eri sniffled, looking up at Izuku with determination in her eyes. "I believe in you, Deku-nii. You've always been there for me"

Tears welled up in Izuku's eyes, touched by her unwavering support, "Thank you, Eri. That means the world to me."

As they continued to talk, Izuku confided in Eri about the pressure he felt and the fear of losing One For All to Mirio. Eri listened attentively, offering comfort and understanding. She questioned why he had to suffer so much despite being a hero, and Izuku couldn't help but be moved by her empathy and concern.

"Deku-nii! You're still my hero," Eri declared, her bright smile breaking through the darkness. "You are forever be.

"Izuku smiled warmly at Eri's unwavering support. "Thank you, Eri. Your belief in me means the world."