꧁ᑕᕼᗩᑭTᗴᖇ 4꧂

we were standing in silence at the dojo. neither Miguel nor I knew what to say. my dad was wearing a black karate gi and a black karate headband, it was hard not to laugh at his outfit.

dad had set this dojo up the day before he came to Miguel and me with his 'speech.' i had changed from what I was wearing this morning at the dealership. I put on some black leggings and a slightly cropped black tank top. (like the picture above)

Miguel spoke up to break the awkward silence, "so are we going to get the karate pyjamas too?"

"QUIET!" dad yelled startling Miguel, instantly shutting him up. I let out a small laugh and quickly coughed to cover it up.

"The student only speaks when spoken to. is that understood?" my dad says towards Miguel, knowing I already know this stuff.

"yes!" Miguel says nodding his head. dad gave him a look expecting that Miguel knows to call him 'sensei.'

"yes sir?"

"you will always address me as sensei, is that understood?"

"oh, yes sensei!"

"These aren't pyjamas. this is a gi. and you'll get one once you've earned it." dad added on correcting Miguel's recent mistake.

"miss Lawrence has hers but she hasn't trained in a while so she needs to prove that she still deserves it." he continued gesturing over to me.

I nodded my head, "yes sensei."

"ready to begin your training?" dad asks us.

"yeah, sensei." Miguel nodded. dad then immediately grabbed Miguel and flipped him over without warning.

"oh god" Miguel groaned on the floor. I walked over to help him up.

"lesson one. strike first. never wait for the enemy to attack." dad states.

"you could've given me like a warning." Miguel says almost completely out of breath.

"quiet!" dad yells silencing Miguel.

"We do not train to be merciful here." dad says beginning his lecture. Miguel then pulls out his asthma inhaler and starts shaking it. "mercy is for the week. here on the street, in competition, a man confronts you, he is the enemy. an enemy deserves no mercy. what is the problem Mr. Diaz." my dad asks in the middle of his lecture.

"There is no problem sensei. you.. you just punched me and I have asthma. so..." Miguel responds, dad interrupts him by grabbing his inhaler and throwing it across the room.

"dad!" I yelled over to him. he completely ignores me.

"not anymore," he says. I laughed at his stupidity and he continues. "we do not allow weakness in this dojo. so, you can leave your asthma and your peanut allergies and all that other made-up bullshit outside. understood?" Miguel nods his head.

"yes but those are real medical problems. I was..." Miguel stopped mid-sentence when he saw the look on my dad's face.

"yes sensei, understood." he corrected himself. my dad then looked at me.

"and you... you know to call me sensei when training. not dad. understood?" I rolled my eyes and nodded.

"yes sensei." I said in an almost mockery tone.

"cobra kai isn't just about karate. it's about a way of life." dad says pointing to the black paint on the walls that read, 'strike first. strike hard. no mercy.'
"take that first lesson. striking first is the initial step towards victory. ok? like when you're at a party and you see a hot babe... and hot dude I guess." dad says looking over to me. "you dont wait for some other guy... or girl, to go talk to them first do you?" dad asks Miguel and me.