Nobody's Safe in a Wizard's House - Reader/Dr Strange

Set: after Infinity War? Endgame? Doctor Strange? It doesn't matter
For: belle5555 and Ella12121212 (sorta)

Hi!! It's been a hot minute!
This title is inspired by the Howl's Moving Castle book which I thoroughly recommend!

It has a sick scene in it but it's also an amazing book, I love it so much. If you do choose to read it (or have) please tell me!! I only have one friend who's read it.

Anyway, I'm posting this in honour of me finishing school and almost hitting 50K reads - thank you all from the bottom of my heart ❤️

———

Originally, (Y/N) had not been happy about being sent to New York City for two months. Her parents had just shipped her off to stay with her uncle Stephen Strange and that was that.

She had planned a whole summer of activities with her friends back home and being in New York threw that all off. (Y/N) was alone in a city where she knew no one.

It had been a surprise to arrive at Stephen's... house? Workplace? And discover that he wasn't still a surgeon like her parents had told her. (Y/N) recalled walking up to the grand doors of the building, knocking, and having them answered by some Asian man wearing clothes that were definitely a few centuries out of date.

"You're not... Stephen Strange, are you?" (Y/N) asked, one hand on her suitcase. She had been so sure she got the address right.

"Ah. No. He's upstairs right now. Come in," the man, Wong, had told her. (Y/N) had done as she was told and upon seeing her uncle, recognised him as one of the Avengers. It took her a few days before she was able to shyly ask if she could wear his cloak.

———

Despite the excitement of learning magic, as (Y/N) had insisted the moment she gained the courage to and showed a natural aptitude, the young woman also spent time in the city, wandering about and enjoying her free time.

And it was one of these outings that led to (Y/N)'s downfall. It had been a cloudy afternoon but Stephen had had to teach other students and attend to work so (Y/N) had gone out, into the city. Only an hour or so later, it began to rain and (Y/N) was caught in the downpour, without an umbrella. After 10 minutes of standing in the rain, attempting to hail a cab, (Y/N) began walking home and by the time she slipped into the grand building, she was soaked to the bone and shaking. A trail of water followed her to the room she'd been given

A warm shower and dry clothes were meant to save her, but when (Y/N) emerged from the scalding water, she found herself headachy and, soon after, congested and achy. She groaned and went to bed early, skipping dinner entirely.

Sleep did not come easily. (Y/N) lay in bed for what felt like hours, tossing and turning, unable to breathe through her nose and unable to sleep with her mouth open. At some point, she drifted to sleep, but when she woke, she couldn't remember falling asleep at all.

———

Stephen completely missed his niece at dinner. He'd ended up reading for much longer than he'd expected and when he realised the time, (Y/N) had already gone to bed. He was determined to see her in the morning for breakfast though. He was attempting to make up for all the years he hadn't known the teen and genuinely enjoyed her company and her refusal to let him do experiments he shouldn't try.

But (Y/N) didn't turn up. In fact, Stephen didn't see her until midafternoon, when Wong informed him (Y/N) hadn't arrived for any of the last three meals. Something in the doctor tightened as he took the most direct route through the Sanctum to the guest rooms. He barely noticed anyone else as he hurried through, trying to convince himself his niece hadn't done anything rash magically and was still alive and well.