Not so Irresponsible - Reader/Steve Rogers

Set before: Age of Ultron
For: SimpforAvenger Char_lattte1125 winterPrater

Very convenient to receive a request for something I was already writing. 10/10 you two :)

I'm moving out! So requests will be slow(er than usual) for a while. Thanks for understanding!

———

"You're irresponsible and stupid. You can't do things like that! Someone could have died!"

"No one died because I was handling it, Steve. And I know you would have done the same in that situation. You all would have!"

"You're grounded-"

"What?"

"-from the next mission and until you can prove that you will not act so recklessly and thoughtlessly again!"

"Thoughtlessly? I was not thoughtless-"

"Enough! (Y/N), you will play by this team's rules when you're with us. Prove you can or leave."

———

It had been 12 hours since the argument and 16 since the mission's conclusion. (Y/N) had chosen to remain hidden in her room for the duration of time since her fight with Steve. She had fallen into a light doze at some point but was largely struggling to sleep, such was the tension in her body.

(Y/N) had elected to follow a series of events that came very, very close to killing a lot of people but did not. Because she knew exactly what was going on and in her mind, there was never any danger for anyone except herself. Steve couldn't- wouldn't understand that but he was her captain and he did have power over (Y/N).

"Miss (L/N)? Dinner is served," echoed Jarvis after many hours of (Y/N) lying on or in her bed.

"I'm not hungry," the young woman replied, her voice muted.

"I shall inform the others."

———

No one came to check on (Y/N) that evening, further cementing that she was in trouble. When she woke, (Y/N)'s whole body ached from sleeping with her muscles tensed. She wasn't hungry but absolutely freezing, so she burrowed into the covers of her bed and fell into a form of half sleep for another hour.

(Y/N) next got up to visit the bathroom, to relieve herself and source some water from the tap. When she stood, the room dimmed and she was forced to reach out and lean on her oversized bed for balance. It passed, though, so (Y/N) made her way to the bathroom, plucking a small blanket off her bed to hold around her shoulders. Why was her room so damn cold anyway?

She was shaking when she returned to her bed, glass of water from next to the sink in hand. (Y/N) burried herself under layers of blankets, the one from earlier wrapped around her like second pyjamas. She didn't sleep but lay in bed, thinking about her fight with Steve and how angry the Avengers must all be for them to not speak to her at all since.

———

"We can't do this, Steve," Natasha was saying. Steve sat slouched over the table, his hand pinching the bridge of his nose. They had reviewed the footage of (Y/N)'s escapade and it did, in fact, appear that she had planned every detail of the event. Something still sat wrong with Steve about it, though, and his pride was preventing him from apologising to her.

"The poor thing is so upset, Steve. Go and tell her it's okay," Bruce nudged. Clint made an agreeing sound. Steve let out a groan.

"We're going to go out for... uh... three hours. Go and sort this out with (Y/N)," Tony decided, ushering his teammates out of the kitchen.