Just Take a Break! - Avengers/Reader

Set before: Age of Ultron
For: me!

Hi everyone!! Merry Christmas and happy holidays! Congratulations on almost finishing this shithouse year, you've done so well and I'm so proud of you.

Here's my (late) almost-finished-2020 present to all of you (it's one of my favourites thus far) ❤️

———

It couldn't have been more obvious that (Y/N), of all the Avengers, worked the hardest. The youngest Avenger worried constantly that she would fall behind or be kicked out if she stopped working hard. She worried that her age would make them see her as not good enough, or her comparatively scrawny frame would make them think she was weak.

So (Y/N) worked, all the time, so they could never think she was useless, and she still worried about being the weak link in the team.

Not that any of the Avengers had ever thought she wasn't enough.

———

There was a mission. A simple in and out, that could easily go badly, but in theory, could be the easiest mission ever. (Y/N), Tony and Bruce were to enter a new Hydra lab they'd located and simultaneously hack into the system using a newly liberated password from a previous mission. If they all did their jobs properly, no one would even know they'd ever entered the base.

But just in case, Thor and Clint were to guard Bruce, Natasha would have Tony and Steve would guard (Y/N). Because nothing ever went right for the Avengers.

So they arrived at the base and (Y/N) felt a little off balance and her throat was a little sore but they needed her so she didn't mention it. She ran with Steve to their location, her lungs burning and feeling like her muscles were ripping and finally got to the computer. She plugged in her USB and got to work.

Tony and Bruce were sharing intel but (Y/N) was just trying to get through her own station, working slower than usual in an attempt to make fewer mistakes as she made her way through the system. Still, she made a mistake, setting off an alarm before Bruce had an opportunity to right it. (Y/N) forced herself to up her speed and ignore the headache blooming behind her eyes.

She sniffled and in the background, heard Steve grunting as the hydra agents shot at his shield from a safe distance. He was protecting the doorway, no doubt thinking she'd be there to help in a moment.

"Done!" (Y/N) gasped at last and entered in her code at the same time as Bruce and Tony. She sniffled a little then turned to Steve.

The movement was too fast and the room spun. (Y/N)'s legs went weak and she grasped the console in an attempt to regain her already precarious balance.

"(Y/N), we need to go," Steve's voice filtered in through both her comms and behind her.

"Yep. I just-," (Y/N)'s legs crumpled further and she leaned more heavily on the console.

"Shit- guys I need help. Something's wrong with (Y/N). Clint, do you think you can make it to me to help her out?" Steve asked, his worried face filling (Y/N)'s entire view. All (Y/N) could think about, though, was how she was suddenly sitting down, despite lacking any memory of the event occurring.

Clint arrived and after a series of blurry tunnels and faded gunshots, (Y/N) found herself back in the Quinjet. Clint was in front of her, holding a piece of glass.

"Open your mouth (Y/N). I need to see your fever," he said. (Y/N), however, was unfocused on Clint and was more concerned by the fact that the entire ship was quiet, all of them looking to her.

"Am I in trouble?" She asked quietly, afraid to break the silence.

"N-"

"Yes." Steve and Tony's voices interrupted Clint's.