Sick on the Run - Reader/Avengers

Set: after Civil War
For: you

Hi!! I started this fic when I started this book. Now, two years later, I've finished it.

And you have given me 60,000 reads and 1,000 votes. I am so, unimaginably grateful for all of you, I'm truly honoured that you like my silly little book so much.

Special thank you to those of you who vote or comment on every chapter, I recognise and adore you all ❤️

This one gets off to a slow start but it gets better as it goes on (was written over two years so that might be why... heh)

———

The hotel wasn't exactly 5-stars, but that was ok. It had a bed that didn't look like it had bedbugs, the room didn't stink like the last place and the shower didn't have someone else's hair in it.

(Y/N) was also pleased to find that the bed was incredibly comfortable. Upon realising (Y/N) was coming down with something, Natasha had insisted the group of rogue avengers stayed the night at a motel although, (Y/N) noticed she hadn't actually told the boys why.

Steve, Sam, Natasha and (Y/N) were the only rogues still on the run as Clint and Scott had, understandably, taken offers to stay on house arrest with their families and Bucky was in Wakanda getting his head fixed. Wanda was... missing, but Nat didn't seem worried and that was enough for (Y/N). After all, Nat kept everyone's secrets but she also kept them safe.

Natasha had checked into the motel as she was the least recognisable of all the rogues and the best at acting. They were on the outskirts of New York as they figured no one would be searching for them so close to home. The Avengers had gone to their respective rooms (boys in one, girls in the other) and (Y/N) had flopped onto her bed immediately.

"This is great Nat, it was a good idea to stay somewhere for a couple of nights. I think we all needed it," she said with a sigh.

"I know I did, sleeping in that car hurts my neck. Why did Steve have to choose the most uncomfortable car he could find?" she asked with a mock frown.

(Y/N) faked a deeper voice, "because it blends in Nat- no, Rebecca." Natasha cracked a grin as (Y/N) used the name that the rooms were booked under and the younger woman let out a giggle before breaking into a couple of coughs.

Worry creased Natasha's face but the coughing ceased and (Y/N) grinned. "I guess that's karma for impersonating Captain America himself, huh?"

Natasha forced a laugh that sounded almost real, even to (Y/N) who'd been running with her for almost a year now.

———

Hours later, Natasha had forced (Y/N) to take some paracetamol and (Y/N) had found some sort of tablet that claimed it could deal with runny noses and blocked noses ("Jackpot!") so she'd taken that too and now they were sitting in the boy's room eating pasta from some restaurant nearby. But the cozy atmosphere of banter - "How come you guys get the bigger room? We girls deserve more space!" - and some random movie on TV (it was about pirates?) was enough to send anyone to sleep and with (Y/N)'s cold and nights of constantly disrupted sleep she found herself drifting away from her fellow Avengers...

Someone was carrying her. (Y/N) stirred briefly but heard Steve's voice (what he was saying, she was too tired to interpret) and went back to sleep. There was a chuckle, possibly from Saint America himself, and then (Y/N) was in bed, which was much comfier than she'd thought it would be for this half-rate motel.

(Y/N) slept soundly and woke late the next morning. Natasha was siting at a computer typing something (probably looking for wherever they were going to go next) and noticed her moving about.