Sick Hawkette - Kate/Reader

For: kxtebelova
Set: after the Hawkeye show

I'm here! I'm back!! More notes at the end!

I have better drafts I swear, I'm so sorry this one didn't go the way I wanted it to but the others are shaping up amazingly!

———

Kate looked absolutely wiped. Not in the university student is tired sense either, but in the not-even-two-Red-Bulls-can-save-you-now-sense. And (Y/N) had watched her try. So now the two young women were sitting in a mind-dulling lecture which (Y/N) had stopped paying attention to about five minutes in, so she could stare at her friend instead.

The friend in question was wearing a plush, purple knit jumper and was shaking regardless. Her hair was a sad attempt at a bun and her eyes were watering.

"Kate?" (Y/N) whispered. The brunette turned her head and stared in response, her eyes bright and skin glowing with sweat under the fluorescent lecture-theatre lights. (Y/N) sighed and pulled a packet of tissues out of her bag. Kate nodded and dabbed at her eyes before blowing her nose. The blond idiot in front of them glared at Kate for disturbing such a stimulating lecture. (Y/N) glared back.

The halftime break came and went and Kate merely folded her arms in front of her and smushed her face into them, in an attempt to sleep through class. When the lecture finished, (Y/N) had her most detailed notes ever, so Kate would have something to read when she was better. Well, the second half of the lecture was detailed anyway.

"C'mon, Kate. Hometime," she said, standing and nudging the red-nosed girl. Kate lifted her head and frowned, the gears behind her eyes turning but taking too long. They had actually left the building by the time Kate remembered she had another class in the next 30 minutes. She attempted to pull on (Y/N)'s sleeve to turn her back, so they could go through the autumn leaves to the business building. (Y/N), however, kept a firm grip on her wrist.

"Home, Kate. You're done." Kate whined and attempted to convince (Y/N) that she had to go to class, but broke into a coughing fit mid-way though, doubling over while (Y/N) crossed her arms, attempted to look smug but unable to hide her frown.

When she could finally breathe again, Kate was red-faced and simply huffed as (Y/N) asked, more gently than before, "home now?"

———

(Y/N) drove Kate's car to her apartment, judging the other to be unfit to drive. Kate had considered protesting but simply leaned against the window and dozed off instead. When she woke, she was paler than before but something seemed to have occupied her mind, because she was suddenly much more alert and keen to get to her apartment.

The two made their way to the elevator and finally arrived at Kate's apartment. "Go and put on something warm, I'll make us a warm drink," (Y/N) ordered. Kate opened her mouth to say something, shrugged and walked off to do as she was told.

(Y/N) located the kettle and two mugs for tea. Kate may only have one set of cutlery but she did have four mugs, for which her guests were always thankful. The tea was quickly brewed and poured and (Y/N) was soon making her way to Kate's room, a mug in each hand.

Only for Kate to be missing. Panic shot through (Y/N), knowing how reckless her friend could be, but she clamped it down and put the teas down on Kate's bedside table. And then she could hear Kate retching, so she ran towards the sound and sure enough, her friend was kneeling over the toilet, her eyes screwed shut.

"Oh, Kate," she murmured, pulling sweaty strands away from the young woman's face. "Are you okay? Do you need me to get you anything?" She asked when Kate had finished. The brunette glanced at the sink where her electric toothbrush was charging so (Y/N) took the hint and put some toothpaste on it before handing it to Kate.