Soup and Sleep - Reader/Tony Stark

Here's a lil' fluffy fic set after Civil War when the Avengers moved back in. You were recruited by Steve during the war and had never met Tony beforehand.

Also, I know this is a self-insert but I decided to add my own movie choices because they're fab and you should all go watch some Ghibli movies!!

Finally, all your fabulous requests are written down and being worked on when I have inspiration but again, I have exams and sacs and outcomes so they're a while away!

———

(Y/N) disliked Tony Stark. It was a well-known fact around the compound and Tony made no attempt to change it.

Well, he made some attempt. They both did. But between (Y/N)'s nervous, defensive and shy nature and Tony's outgoing, confident and joking manner, the two were always clashing.

It had begun as a simple matter of Tony making a joke, (Y/N) being new to the Avengers and reacting uncertainly, as though she were uncomfortable, and Tony failing to notice.

But it got worse as (Y/N)'s naturally defensive side began to go on the offensive as Tony made more jokes at her expense. Then, when (Y/N) clammed up and remained silent as she wasn't sure how to respond, Tony would make another joke and she would begin to feel attacked.

(Y/N) had grown up with little company, often on her own working in a small shop in a quiet alleyway in Vermont, or else playing alone in the forest near their house. As a result, she was never really sure how to respond to well-natured jokes and more often than not, came off as a cold person.

This, paired with the unsteady nature of the Avengers after the 'Civil War,' made everything uncomfortable in the compound when Tony welcomed all the Avengers - including (Y/N) whom he'd never met - back home.

The whole compound was tense though, so (Y/N) and Tony's relationship was nothing special, just something to consider when sorting out teams for missions and training. The issue became when Tony was injured and unable to go on a mission and (Y/N) was to stay back at the compound.

——

"Steve, please, I'm fine!" You begged, jogging alongside the elder Avenger. You'd been showing signs of a developing cold all week and by the time Thursday rolled around, Steve knew you couldn't come on the mission, but it wasn't going to stop you from trying.

"(Y/N), we all know you're not. Friday says you have a temperature of 39°, and I can't afford to have someone watching out for you, especially seeing as Tony's out too," Steve said, slowing down so you could keep up. "If you're worried about spending the weekend with him, don't worry. Just stay in your room and be polite to him. He doesn't mean to offend you, it's just in his nature."

You sniffled slightly, attempting to unblock your sinuses despite knowing it'd be useless. "I know... I just don't know what to say when he makes fun of me and he takes it the wrong way. And anyway, I was never friends with him before your whole... thing... so we can't fall back on old bonds."

Steve gave you a smile, shrugged and continued walking through the halls. "You don't have to come see us off, you know. I've had more than my share of illness, I just know you're dying to get back in bed."

The youngest Avenger merely shrugged. Yes, you desperately wanted to get back into bed and under your covers where you could actually be warm again but you also knew you had to see the Avengers off. After all, you wouldn't be leaving your room until they got back in an attempt to avoid Tony for the entire weekend (or longer).

Unfortunately, luck was not on your side and Tony was also there to see the Avengers off, his left arm still wrapped in its red cast and sling around his neck. He was pleading with Natasha to just let him come, even if he only did tech, but she wouldn't have it, claiming that he'd be a liability as the jet could easily be blown up.