Student Life - Reader/Peter Parker

For: Astralmysteria and _avengxrss
Set: after Civil War fixup

Well, that's the longest I've ever gone without an update. Once again, I am so sorry, I love you all so much, I've just been incredibly busy and something had to be put on hold. Wrote this entire fic today so I hope it's up to standard.

Anyway, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR 80K READS?! HOW?! I remember being overjoyed when this book hit 100 and I sort of figured it would cap off well before 1000 but here we all are? Thank you all so much, your love and support means the world

———

(Y/N) had three assignments due in the next two weeks, friends coming to see her on Tuesday, a mission on Thursday, patrol with Peter and a mild cold. It was Tuesday evening when she returned to the tower, jubilant and bouncy from seeing her friends but cold and tired and feeling stress lingering in the back of her mind. How would she ever finish those assignments to a high enough standard when the mission would take a week and she couldn't take her laptop to work on them?

The adults of the team were all awake, even at 11:30pm on a Tuesday night and many nodded greetings to the younger Avenger when the elevator dinged. She nodded in response, a smile still lingering on her lips even as her shoulders began to tense, and walked down to her room. At 12:00am, she was dressed in flannelette pyjamas, makeup and jewellery free, shivering and ready to work on her assignment. She left her room for the kitchen table, hoping seeing her team would make her study accordingly.

Steve was the last to leave the kitchen only an hour later. When he stood from the couch, (Y/N) realised she'd been staring at her screen for well over ten minutes, without reading or writing a single word on the report. She was shivering and felt as though she might just faint if she stared at the too-bright screen for a minute more.

"Steve?" she asked, her voice small and husky. (Y/N) jolted at the sound and attempted to clear her throat.

"(Y/N)?"

"Could I... and I mean it's fine if I need to, but would it be okay if i didn't come on this mission? I have so much to do and I don't- I mean I can't- well, I can, if you need me to but I was just sort of..." (Y/N) trailed off, misinterpreting Steve's furrowed eyebrows for annoyance

Then, the super-soldier's lips turned upwards in a half-smile. "You're truly a different breed, (Y/N/N). I can't imagine any of the others having the self-preservation you do. Certainly, take the time off, you do look exhausted. Get some rest while we're not here though, don't just keep working on your assignments."

(Y/N) felt her head move back in shock. She nodded, made a small sound of assent, and turned her attention back to her computer, feeling as though half her woes were gone. Steve, ever-quiet, agile Steve, walked out the room.

At least, (Y/N) thought he had.

"You've repeated 'ensure' three times in that sentence, (Y/N)." The teen bolted upright from her slouched position, realising Steve was leaning over her shoulder to read her work. "Go to bed."

And really, how could (Y/N) refuse?

———

Thursday arrived with a mild fever, chills and Peter Parker. Actually, (Y/N) wasn't sure why Peter was there. She certainly hadn't invited him and as far as she knew, Spidey wasn't meant to be on this mission. (Y/N) was wearing loose jeans an oversized jumper as she saw the Avengers off. Peter was standing next her, also seeing them off.

"Shouldn't you be on there?" (Y/N) asked as Wanda walked up the ramp.

"I- didn't they tell you?" The ramp began to close.