Appendicitis - Avengers/Reader

Set: after Spiderman Homecoming
For: gagamia1

Reader works on tech for the Avengers and orchestrates their missions etc. Currently helping with a publicity thing that involves filming... stuff. I was sort of vibing with the idea of filming things, who knows why.

Anyway, sorry for my absence, I'm kind of having issues at home but they're resolving themselves as I type! All requests are written down and I promise I haven't forgotten anyone xx

———

"All right, Steve, I need you to listen to the directors right now because those videos you made for school kids gave you a very different image to the one I know you want to preserve. Seriously. They made memes about you."

"Well, that wasn't my intenti- wait, what's a meme again?"

"A joke, Rogers. They think you're a joke."

"Damn it," Steve mumbled, walking back onto the set looking decidedly unmotivated to go through another round of PR stunts. However, he did also want to stop the videos he'd allowed to be distributed throughout many American schools and this seemed the best way to do so. (Y/N), of course, knew this and knew manipulating Steve was her best shot at making him go through with the videos, even if she did feel a little guilty about it.

Usually, she was a lot more involved in production, but today she had other things to worry about. Namely her stomach and the unpleasant cramps stabbing through it. She let the directors do whatever they wanted in favour of focusing on ignoring the pain that had been distracting her since yesterday afternoon. She'd rectify any stupid mistakes they made with her publicity stunt when she wasn't in so much pain.

Only the rigorous training provided by SHIELD allowed (Y/N) to respond with only the smallest gasp as her lower abdomen seized up. The painkillers she'd taken earlier should certainly have taken effect by now, but (Y/N) popped another two out of the packaging and dry swallowed them, one at a time, anyway. She'd probably die in a fight of some sort before liver poisoning got to her anyway.

(Y/N) allowed herself to subtly massage the area with the flat of her palm in what was a testament to her pain. She was usually better at hiding it than this, but then again, her period wasn't often this bad. (Y/N) tried to focus on whatever Steve was supposed to be filming with Tony as a distraction. They were running and supposedly displaying how they were the epitome of teamwork with easy communication and... good catching skills? Why did they keep throwing Steve's shield to each other? What idiot wrote this script? They'd have to refilm another day, (Y/N) decided as another cramp pierced her abdomen. Why was her period a fortnight early anyway? And where was the blood?

As the pain began to subside, Natasha sidled up to (Y/N). The super spy had been observing her manager closely since the day before and had watched as she slowly lost colour in her face and her resolve to see the filming through to the end began to weaken.

"What's up, (L/N)?" she said, her eyes on the two male Avengers but peripherally watching (Y/N).

"Not much. Trying to persuade Rogers this is a good idea," (Y/N) replied. Maybe she should drink some more water. That was supposed to fix everything, right?

"Mm," the redhead responded.

"I'm going to grab a bottle of water, you want one?"

"No, I'm fine. I'll keep watching Steve make a fool of himself," Natasha responded, making a good show of watching the two primary Avengers. (Y/N) turned on her heel and walked towards the table of water and snacks where Thor was making himself at home. It featured high-quality pastries this morning, courtesy of Tony who refused to tolerate the slightly soggy sandwiches on the first day of filming and had since provided all the food. It was a shame (Y/N) had no appetite, as the selection of croissants looked incredible.