Technology isn't Everything - Shuri/Wakandans

Set: after Black Panther
For: a close friend

Um... I know I wrote it for her but I'd still appreciate it if she never read it.

It didn't go quite where I wanted but I hope it's fluffy enough ❤️

———

In the months since Killmonger had been throned and subsequently dethroned, Shuri daughter of T'Chaka, had felt mounting guilt take over her. It had been her technology had failed in the fight between the Dora Milaje and border tribe. If her gauntlets had been a little stronger or the weapons of the Dora Milaje a little sharper, more people might have been ok. It wasn't as though many of the injuries were lasting but Wakanda was open now and war would surely arrive at their borders.

And so the best thing for Shuri to do, both as the Princess of Wakanda and leader of the technology division, was to ensure no one's equipment ever failed again.

It was when she was considering an army of sentient warriors that Shuri realised she might be getting a little carried away. Maybe she should deal with what was looking to be a little bit like trauma but... then she might not get to continue working. Shuri's lab was her favourite place to be. It was comfortable and controllable and she got to put her marvellous mind to use. If she wasn't working, if she couldn't work, then she was convinced she'd go insane.

A sharp pain in her thigh brought Shuri back to her senses. She'd walked into a table. In her lab, where she knew where everything was and always presented excellent spatial awareness.

That was probably not good.

In fact, now that she thought about it, Shuri was relatively sure it had been more than a day since she'd last left her lab. She was unsure as to when the last time she'd slept was and even more unsure as to the last time she'd slept without nightmares. Yeah, she probably had some trauma from her first in-person battle. It was just as she was recognising this, staring into the dark mineshaft her window opened into, that Okoye arrived with two other members of the Dora Milaje.

"Hi, Okoye, here for your updates? I haven't got them for everyone yet but the rest of the updated spears should be ready soon," Shuri said with a grin. Okoye was the best partner in crime, especially when it came to T'Challa

"No." Okoye and her companions walked right up to Shuri. As all three women were taller than the teen and more than a little intimidating, it took most of Shuri's will as a princess to not take a step back. She hadn't done anything wrong recently, right?

"Ok," she said slowly, "so what do you need?"

"We have orders to escort you to your rooms," Okoye said, her eyebrows creased just the smallest bit, "T'Challa's orders."

"Why?"

"You set programs to monitor all important or influential figures in the palace. One of which is you, do you remember?" Okoye asked. She was talking slowly, as though to a child.

"Yes," Shuri snapped in response. Her shoulders were rising slightly and she could feel her face heating up. How dare they be so rude to her?

Okoye sighed, "they alerted us you haven't been sleeping and that you're now unwell."

"What?" Shuri cried. That was ridiculous! And even though it was true, why was T'Challa getting involved? Didn't he have literally anything more important? "I have more important things to do than sleep, I'm fine! Tell T'Challa to shove his orders up his-"

"He's king, Shuri. You can't say that."

Distantly, Shuri recognised that it was unlike her to become so angry so quickly, especially at something so negligible.