Home

They left the next morning with quick goodbyes. The tension in the room had been full of awkward tasting air. Shade's scent still clung to her skin. Running would get rid of it.

Neira had pressed her cheek into May's and Lana's before they walked on two legs until they were out of sight. Then the three of them shifted, and ran and ran into the next day. This far into the mountains, the game was few and far between. Not only that, but the chill that over took the northern pass was almost as cold as full fledged winter.

The three of them stayed in their wolf bodies until they came back down on the second night. When they did shift, it was only for a few hours. They chatted quickly, working out the kinks of meeting her father's pack.

It was better to say the alpha was the male. That was normal after all. A seed of suspicion would form around the fact that her childhood pack was ran by a female - something usually only done for the crown of the Izteri and Elarian thrones. She knew it wouldn't matter anyways.

Walking into Bronson's territory as humans ended perfectly but the same would not for her mothers territory. Two heavily dominant male wolves walking into her mothers territory on two legs would be shredded to bits. Two male wolves walking into her mother's pack as the spooky wolves they were? A direct threat.

Her mother's pack was on high alert 24/7. The two sentry wolves that marked the edges of her mother's territory were nasty enough. They might even take Neira's return, if they ever picked up on who she was, as a threat to her mothers title in the pack. She couldn't blame them, they had spent the better part of her mother's life protecting her up in this freezing corner of the world. Protecting her form the same fate as the Zuvien king. Elias's father.

Of course she couldn't tell Shade or River any of this. Not that it mattered. She knew one look at her mother and they mighty very well guess who she was. Late in the night, her and Shadow had talked about it, about what it meant to have Shade and River know her origin. It was a risk. A risk she decided was worth it.

With Shade and River coming from a part of the world that was still governed by royal's it should be easier to digest. In their eyes, the royals were not outlaws. Shade's pack might be the only ones to see it this way.

"They are old school," she said, her teeth chattering with the icy wind off one of the peaks. "We have to do this their way."

So when they neared the edge of her mother's territory late in the third day it was Neira who walked out alone from the crest of the mountain. Wind ripped into her auburn pelt, her ears flattened against the cold.

From either side, two white wolves appeared as well. The grey tips of their pelt whipping wildly in the wind. Their lips were pulled back over their teeth, heads dipped low as they advanced. Neira showed her own teeth. They may not remember the trembling female who disappeared all those years ago, but she knew them.

And she kicked each one of their asses before she left.

She didn't want to fight though. So she tilted her head to the clouds as a howl ripped from her open maw. A summoning, a call for attention.

The wolves on either side stoped dead in their tracks.

And way in the distance a wolf as white as snow stepped onto jagged shard of rock, her eyes as blue as ice. The colouring in them from this distance was barely distinguishable among all the white fur.

Her mother.

And beside her, a male wolf stepped forward. His once rich red pelt, splatted with strips of silver. The male tipped his head back and howled in return, and one after another the two sentry's joined, and then her mother tipped her great white head to the sky. It was a haunting sound, an echo of her own voice ringing out across the rock and snow.