Void

She was so fucking stupid.

Her paws pounded, turning up dirt as she ran as fast as she could through the trees. Her blood thrummed loudly in her ears, taking over the whispers of the leaves and the cracks of the twigs under her feet. Everything was swallowed up by that sound, her heart hammering. Even her other senses were devoured, pushed to the background as if they had never been there at all. She could feel nothing, smell nothing.

Was nothing.

How could she have missed it? This vital piece of information? An alpha male living with a chest full of females clothes? All the cryptic talk between him and the other members of his pack? The hints?

They were all so clear now, flashing red lights right in her face. There was always a reason. Alpha males just didn't go through life unmated. She was so fucking stupid.

Why did she even care? She was using him.

He marked you.

Fuck.

She had just been so relieved not to have to go through that pain again, so eager to not be that horrible writhing thing once more. And as soon as she had stumbled upon a male strong enough, she had taken him up on whatever he had offered. Even that mark...

She was so fucking stupid.

Maybe he hadn't had a choice. Perhaps it was the only thing he could do in that moment to calm her down, put his teeth in her throat. Give her something to channel all that aggression into. Or, maybe he hadn't.

What about before? The other female? Was this a habit of his? A sick kind of obsession?

She didn't know what to believe now. Who to believe: the copper lying saviour, or the haunting newcomer? So many things she didn't know, things she was too naive to understand.

What happened to her, the other female? His other mate? His first choice...

It all clicked into place. Like the last piece in a puzzle that was too blurry for her bright eyes. But the picture was glaringly clear now.

Things still weren't adding up. He was a strong and dominant alpha male, with a pack and a large expanse of territory. How had she never heard of him before? It should have been common knowledge, barely even table talk.

Unless they had been lying low.

She was so fucking stupid.

What had happened to her?

She wasn't alive. She saw that answer written on his stupid face. But how did she die? And when? How long had she been alpha female before her death?

Why?

What was she to him then? A plaything? Like he was to her? That didn't bother her, not in the slightest. But what if he wanted more from her? What if she did? Then what would they have done?

He couldn't have it. He shot his shot and blew it. That was the one thing she couldn't handle. Lying. She wasn't some second-hand alpha female. She wasn't some submissive's replacement when he fucked up. She deserved that much. The truth. Was that so hard?

There were so many questions, so many that her head pounded and her vision blurred, and she stopped wondering where she was running to. The trees blended together, bluing into wisps of pine green and chocolate. Mist coated the earth at her paws, still thundering through the brush.

She thanked her lucky stars she hadn't marked him back.

Had that male, Shade, been warning her.

She saw his eyes in her head, black and bottomless. Like a well. Like smoke.

Like smoke that was curling around the base of that tree.

She shook her head, ears hitting the side of her face. But she knew even before she opened her eyes that it would be gone, the wisps pulled back to where ever they came from.

She huffed, loudly. These woods were playing tricks on her.

Or perhaps it was her own mind that was spreading chaos through her vision, letting her see things.

She couldn't place it, the eerie feeling these woods gave her. Something seemed to watch her, follow her, over every fallen log or piece of brush, around every corner. She couldn't shake it, the tingling, the quakes deep in her legs-

There was a crack to her left. She froze.

And she knew even before she turned her head what she would see, what kind of nightmare waited for her.

An onyx wolf stood off to the side, massive and terrifying. He was huge, taking up the space between two hulking trees like a cork in a wine bottle. So black and so terrifying to even look at. It bothered her, his colour, his stance.

But maybe she could have withstood the darkness that hung over him if it wasn't for his eyes. They weren't the same as his human eyes, black and bottomless, seeming to swallow the light.

In this form, they were white.

White like snow.

Void.

Void of any colour, taking over the pupil entirely.

He was haunting.

And her body screamed for her to run.

But the wolfs eyes weren't on her; they were fixed on nothing even, staring off into the forest. She didn't dare move, not even breathe as he just stood there.

Time seemed to slow, long moments passing with her heart hammering. Her still. Him frozen. Seconds? Minutes?

His head dipped, not even an inch towards the ground and she couldn't hold her breath any longer.

His eyes landed on her, the void swallowing her thoughts.

It was as if he hadn't even seen her yet. Maybe...

She took a step back, and in response, he snarled, low. So low she felt it shudder through the air between them, rattling into her skin like a jackhammer.

But even now, his eyes weren't wholly fixed on her. She stretched a paw out, kicking against a fallen branch, rattling the leaves it nestled in.

His gaze shot to it, his ears moving, searching for her.

He was blind.

This body, this form of his, was blind