Chapter 1

Present Day

Something, no. Someone was on top of Flipside Tower. A crowd gathered at the base of the tower, looking up. "What's going on? What is that?" A Flipside resident asked. A small laugh could be heard. "UEE HEE HEE...."

 A sharp, scythe-like weapon came rushing down towards the crowd of people, swiftly cutting through the air. It landed a mere two feet in front of the crowd, leaving a large crack in the ground. Everyone jumped back. A  jester then appeared. He grabbed ahold of the scythe, which was sticking out of the ground. It was as if he was inside the strange weapon and just popped out of it. He stepped forward, a large smile on his face.

"LOOK AT ALL THESE SMILING FACES! EVEN DEVILSKNIFE IS SMILING!" The jester looked down at his weapon, or as he liked to call it, his Devilsknife. He swung his devilsknife around, before it disappeared in thin air. The crowd of people stood there, frozen in fear.

"Is this the psychotic clown who almost ended all worlds not long ago?" A woman asked. Another resident shook their head. "It can't be. I thought that guy was sent to the Underwhere to be locked away for all eternity in the river of Twygz." Another resident chimed in, "But, this has to be him! Who else looks like that?" The crowd began all talking over each other. This new Jester, smiling and staring in delight. 

He cleared his throat. "THIS IS THE INTERDIMENSIONAL TOWN OF FLIPSIDE, CORRECT?" The jester asked. The residents all fell silent upon hearing his voice again. One child nodded. "Yeah, you're in Flipside....what do you want."

The Jester's smile grew even bigger. "AH, A BEAUTY IS JOYING IN MY HEART! IT'S SO EXCITING...I CAN'T TAKE IT!" The jester began looking around. An old man stepped forward. "Uhh, why do you speak like that? Your voice...it's an actual voice. It's not text." The jester flipped around to face the man. "THE REAL QUESTION IS, WHY DON'T YOU SPEAK LIKE THIS?" Everyone seemed slightly confused, before the strange jester spoke again. 

"I HAVE TRAVELED FAR, SEARCHING FOR THIS PLACE! IT'S SO BRIGHT HERE! NO NEED TO HIDE FROM THE DARKNESS IN THIS PLACE! UEE HEE HEE!" The crowd of people stepped back.

"Who are you, and what are you going to do?" A small girl asked. The jester turned to her and smiled a big, somewhat creepy smile. He summoned his devilsknife, swinging his arm and making it appear in his hand. "OH, DEAR CHILD. I CAN DO ANYTHING."

Way in the Past

"Hey Seam!" The court jester came bounding down the hallways. Seam, the Court Magician, turned and waved back to his good friend. "Greetings Jevil." Seam reached down and shook his good friend's hand. Jevil smiled. "Another day of performing and entertaining!"

Jevil and Seam were best friends. Their jobs were to perform for the four Kings and all their subjects. It wasn't the best job, but they enjoyed it. After all, it was their life's purpose. To perform for others.

"Hey, Seam?" Jevil asked, just as the day had ended. The two were about to go off to bed. They shared a room in card castle. It was a rather small room since they weren't really considered 'high class citizens,' but it was just fine. "Yes, Jevil?" Seam replied. Seam had purple skin, and he looked like a stuffed cat. "Do you ever think there's going to be more?" Jevil asked. Seam looked over at his friend in confusion. "What do you mean?" "Oh, I don't know. Do you think we're meant for more than just performing for the enjoyment of others?" Seam looked deep in thought. "Perhaps someday, but I believe this is where we belong. This is our assigned role in this world." Jevil smiled. "Ah, yes. Of course. You're right. Makes sense."

Almost everyday, the two would do the exact same thing. It's not like Jevil didn't like his job. He did enjoy performing alongside Seam and he loved getting to spend so much time with his comrade, however, it was so repetitive. It was the same thing every single day. "Seam, there has to be more in life than this, right?" Jevil would ask. Seam would always shrug. He didn't like really questioning anything. Life was life, and it wasn't bad, so why go trying to change it? Jevil had a different way of seeing it, but seeing his friend so content always calmed him.

Jevil didn't quite remember his past. No one really did. All he could remember was performing alongside Seam. It was like that was all his life was. Performing and performing and performing. It's all that he ever did, but it was okay because Seam was by his side. Nothing was wrong. No one was dying, everyone was safe. Life was peaceful.

Jevil took a walk. Occasionally when he got time off he would wander the field of hopes and dreams, occasionally wishing for something more. He wanted something interesting to happen, something to stir things up. He was going to ask Seam to walk with him, but Seam never really enjoyed walks. Seam was always the more mellow person between the two. Jevil called out to Seam while he was leaving, "Going for a walk, be back in about an hour!" And took off. Seam watched his friend leave, before lying down and taking a nap. Being the Court Magician was rather exhausting, so Seam tended to nap whenever he got some downtime.

Seam didn't really remember his life before he was the Court Magician. His memories were filled with performing his magic for others. The furthest back he could remember was about five years. Jevil was still a child. Seam appeared to be about five years older than his friend. Jevil was always shorter than him. When they were younger, Jevil was adorable. He still was adorable. He liked asking questions and had a childlike wonder. Seam laughed at the memories. A particular memory came to his mind. "Are we family?" Jevil asked Seam. Seam shrugged. "No. We aren't family." "Oh." Jevil replied. "....do I have a family?" Seam sat there, thinking of how to respond. "...no. I don't think either of us do." Jevil looked down. "Oh, well maybe we could be like family to each other! Because neither of us have a family!" Seam laughed. "Yeah, that would be nice!"

Jevil always lit up the room. It was no wonder people loved watching him entertain. The guy was basically a ball of sunshine in this dark world. He did ask a lot of questions, but he also had quite good manners. He was very respectable, especially for a simple Court Jester. Between the two, even though Jevil tended to question things more, Seam was actually viewed as more of the trouble maker. Even though Seam was more mellow, he also had more power. No one was ever worried about Jevil. Everyone knew him as just the silly Jester. 

Jevil was never considered a threat, because he couldn't do anything.

Jevil walked through that field of hopes and dreams. He occasionally would see random people walking around here, but to his surprise it was completely empty. "That's strange. Where is everyone?" He asked. He walked forward, when he heard voices, causing him to turn around.

"WOW, great job. You managed to find a world even worse than mine." Came a small voice. "Shh, we just got here. Don't judge a book before reading it's contents," Came another voice. Jevil ran towards the voices, "Hello?" He came around a corner, and accidentally ran into someone.

"Whoa!" Jevil cried, as he tripped, running into the person. The two went tumbling to the ground. Jevil quickly got up and offered his hand. "My apologies. Here, let me help you up." The person he knocked over grabbed his hand. The man's face was covered by a mask, and he was dressed like....a jester. 

Jevil looked down at the man's hand. "Whoa! Your clothes! Are you a jester?" Jevil asked. The guy he knocked over laughed, and picked himself up. "Ah ha ha ha, well, looks like we got caught." He looked over to his friend, then back at Jevil. Jevil looked at his face with a confused expression. "Who are you?"