Chapter 20

Present

Mario explained what the Underwhere was to Marx and Seam. Marx quickly turned around. "So, why did Dimentio go in there if he worked so hard to get out?" Seam shrugged and looked at the door. "I don't know, but Jevil went inside after him. They won't get stuck there, will they? Technically they're both criminals, so what if they arrested or something?? I can't loose Jevil already.." Mario shook his head. "I don't know, but I have to know why Dimentio went in there. I feel like the Underwhere is the last place he'd want to be." Marx just shrugged. "He seemed very upset when the man in green was...killed."

Mario looked down. "You don't think he went there to be with Luigi, do you? I mean, he called himself his friend, but I don't think they're actually close. That seems very unlike him." Marx's eyes went wide. "No! What if he wants to stay there?? What if he's throwing his life away?"

Marx lowered himself to the ground. "He can't do that! I know I was mad at him, but it can't just end like that!"

Marx looked down. "I don't want Dimentio to stay down there." Seam looked at the door. "Jevil will bring him back."

He tried having hope, but a part of him was worried. What if Jevil didn't come back? He just got Jevil back, he couldn't lose him already.

Mario started crying again. "Luigi's stuck in there anyway. It doesn't matter. None of this would have happened if I just was here to protect him sooner. I could have taken him on my adventure with me like he asked, but I didn't and it ended up with him getting hurt."

Marx looked down and smirked. "Wow. You sound like a real jerk. Why didn't you take him with you?" Mario glared over at him. "Because I didn't want to put him in DANGER!!" Marx chuckled. "Wow. Well that sure worked out well for you, didn't it."

Dimentio winced in pain. Even though it barely hurt, it was unexpected. He held his hand to his chest and turned around.

Jevil was sprinting straight for him. "DIMMY, DON'T!"

Dimentio's eyes went wide, "Jevil?" 

Jevil tackled him to the ground. "Don't do it, Dimmy. Please. Let me find another way to save the man in green."

Jevil hugged Dimentio tightly. His voice was lower, like how it use to be. "Dimentio, I don't want you to leave. I don't want you to be locked up. Please."

Dimentio shook his head. "Jevil, get off of me!" Jevil squeezed tighter. "No!" 

"I shouldn't even be alive. I didn't deserve that second chance. Please, just let me do this. Let me bring him back." 

Jevil looked over at Luigi, who was lying on the ground.

"Dimmy, I didn't want to kill him. Please. I don't want you to have to be locked away, alone, for all eternity because of what I did."

Queen Jades watched as the two jesters argued. Her heart hurt. She could tell Dimentio had really changed. The fact that he had come down here after he won his freedom, just to give it to Luigi, was proof.

Jevil continued wrestling Dimentio, when he looked up at Queen Jades. "Please Miss. Take me instead! Dimentio deserves to live. I'm the one who took the Man in Green's life. I deserve to pay for it!" Dimentio covered Jevil's mouth. "No! Jevil, you don't belong down here. I do."

Queen Jades stepped forward. "Silence!"

Dimentio and Jevil both froze, and slowly looked up at her. Queen Jades sighed. "Jevil, it was? Dimentio's right. You don't belong here. You aren't from this world. And you..." She looked down at Dimentio, then over at Luigi. Dimentio's eyes began to water again.