Chapter 2

In the Past

The person Jevil ran into looked over at his friend. His friend was giving him a dirty look. "Oh, come on Marx. Don't look at me that way. I thought this field was empty." The other person, who's name was apparently Marx, sighed. "Great. Well, we've been spotted. So now what?" Jevil kept looking at both of them, utterly confused. "What? What do you mean? Are you hiding from someone? Who are you??"

The person in front of Jevil sighed and started rubbing his temples, completely ignoring Jevil. Marx rolled up, looking at Jevil. "Well, we could always kill this guy. Nobody needs to know we were here...." He smiled a demon-like smile, causing Jevil to feel nervous. Jevil stepped back. "W-what??" The other guy rolled his eyes. "No, Marx. We can't just show up and end his game. That would be so boring." The man turned to face Jevil again. "....What if we kept him?"

Jevil stepped back. Him and Marx both simultaneously replied, "What??" Marx rolled forward. He was standing on top of something that looked like a beach ball. 

"We aren't gonna just keep this random guy we found off the streets, Dimentio. Aw, great. Now I'm the responsible one! Look what you're doing to me!" Marx complained. The other man, who's name was apparently Dimentio, teleported behind Jevil and grabbed ahold of him. "But Marx, look how adorable!" He held Jevil forward. Marx rolled his eyes. Jevil was incredibly confused. "Whoa, did you just teleport? Are you like a Magician?? My friend Seam is a magician." Dimentio shushed him. "Shh, shut up and be cuter so he'll let me keep you." Marx sighed. "We aren't keeping him. You already have me, isn't that enough?" Jevil chimed in, "Don't I get a say in this?" Dimentio shushed him again, "Nope."

"Dimentio, I thought you were smart about stuff like this." "I am being smart about this! If we keep him, he can help us find a perfect world!" "Help YOU find a perfect world. I couldn't care less about your perfect world. It's all you ever talk about. Perfect world this, perfect world that, UGH. All I wanted was to have fun." Marx and Dimentio continued to argue. Jevil honestly tried to comprehend what they were saying, but it was pretty confusing. 

"Now, if I could add to this conversation-" Jevil tried butting in, when Dimentio shoved him forward again, "Just look at him Marx. LOOK AT HIM! He's so adorable! Plus, if we just leave him he could go telling people we were here." Marx rolled his eyes again. "Okay, first of all, he looks like the poor man's version of you, second of all, I am WAYYYY cuter."

Dimentio shook his head. "Now Marx, we have to be honest with ourselves." Dimentio turned to Jevil. Jevil was completely and utterly lost. "I just wanted to go for a walk man...." Dimentio laughed. "See! He's funny! We're keeping him! As the leader and the brains of this operation, my decision is final!" Dimentio held out his hand to Jevil. "Greetings. Dimentio, master of Dimensions and pleaser of crowds." Jevil slowly shook Dimentio's hand. They stood there for a moment in silence. "Uhh, this is the part where you tell me your name." Dimentio whispered. "Oh, right. I-I'm Jevil. The Court Jester." Marx rolled his eyes. Dimentio laughed. "That's Marx. He's really nice if you never get to know him." Jevil looked down at Marx. "Aww, well, he is pretty adorable." Marx glared up at him. "Quit staring. I hate you." Jevil smiled and laughed. "Alright. So....who are you guys?? Last I checked, I was the only jester here."

Dimentio grabbed his shoulder. "Consider us your new best friends. We've been traveling far and wide searching for the perfect world!" Marx huffed. "HE'S been traveling far and wide searching for the perfect world. I have no idea why I agreed to come." Dimentio smiled. "Aw, hush Marx. So, Jevil, it was? How would you describe this world? It's obviously is a little dark, but that's an easy fix. Would you say there are any flaws." Jevil looked around. "Uhh, I don't know." Dimentio's smile faded. "So do you have like a king or something?" "Yeah. We have four kings actually!" Dimentio looked deep in thought. "Four kings....well it would be difficult to overthrow that many...." "Overthrow??" "Well, guess you were right Marx. Best to keep looking!" "What?? What are you talking about??"

Dimentio pushed Jevil aside. "You know, Marx, I think you're right. This guy isn't interesting enough to join us." Jevil was shocked. "What?? Like five seconds ago you were saying the opposite. Why do I care?? I am so confused right now!" Dimentio turned and winked. "I like to put on a show! Ciao~!" He took Marx and teleported away.

".....wow." Jevil said, standing alone in confusion. "What just happened?"

Dimentio teleported Marx into a strange void. This is the place he used to get from one game to another. Marx squirmed. "What are you doing? What is up with you today?" Dimentio shushed him. "That jester, Jevil." 

Dimentio had a serious expression. Marx laughed. "What about him. He seemed completely normal and boring." Dimentio chuckled. "Yeah. He does seem normal and boring....for now." Marx looked up. Dimentio looked deep in thought. "Huh....oh no. I know that face. That's your thinking face. Whatever you're thinking, stop it. We don't need distractions." Dimentio smiled. "Oh, come on. Don't you wanna have fun?" Marx rolled his eyes. "Yeah, but you shouldn't keep messing with all these worlds. WE shouldn't even be here. We don't belong here. Why are you making ME the responsible one??" Dimentio shushed him. "Come on. I saw him. He has so much potential. He could be great you know." 

Dimentio pulled up a single playing card and looked at it. "Plus, I can tell he's bored with his life right now. His whole world is still being developed. It' new. Nothing is set in stone yet. This could get a whole lot more interesting."

On the card, was one word. "Joker"