Chapter 12

Past

Jevil waited. With each day he slipped more, loneliness eating up at him for who knows how long, when some footsteps were heard outside his cell. Was someone coming to visit?? It couldn't be Dimentio, for he would just teleport inside.

"BOO HOO, BOO HOO, UEE HEE HEE. SO LONELY, SO LONELY I BE...."

A new music was playing. Is this my theme?? It's kinda dark. I was honestly hoping for cooler, Jevil thought to himself.

He could sense who was on the other side of the door. Why, it was a group of three young ones. The game's 'chosen ones.' The Lightners.

"BUT LO, THREE VISITORS STANDING INSIDE? WHO ARE YOU FEW?"

A small, nice voice chimed, "Nice to meet you! I'm Ralsei, this is Kris, and...-" "So, what the heck are you doing in there?" Interrupted a deeper, meaner voice.

"I AM INNOCENT, INNOCENT! I JUST WANTED TO PLAY A GAME, GAME!"

The people on the other side of the door glanced at each other before Jevil continued.

"BUT THE BORING KINGS FOUND SUCH FUN TO BE A TROUBLE. AS PUNISHMENT, THEY CRAVED TO IMPRISON MY BODY. BUT I'M FAST, FAST, CLEVER, CLEVER. THEY LOST THE CHASE AND LOCKED UP THEIR ENTIRE RACE, BUILDING A PRISON AROUND THE WHOLE WORLD. NOW I'M THE ONLY FREE ONE."

"Huh, free? But you're clearly the one behind bars...." Ralsei said. Jevil smiled at the response.

"THINGS DON'T SEEM SUCH FROM HERE, LIGHTNERS."

The deeper, meaner voice spoke out, with a hint of sarcasm. "Well, sounds like you don't need any help then."

Jevil's eyes went wide from the other side of the door. No, they couldn't just leave!

"THAT IS UN-SO! I GROW LONELY IN MY LITTLE FREEDOM. SO, SHALL YOU PLAY A GAME WITH ME, ME? I'LL SHOW YOU WHAT IT MEANS TO BE FREE!"

Jevil knew that the players wouldn't be able to resist such a challenge. The quiet Lightner, Kris, looked around, before selecting, 'Do not play a game.'

Jevil burst into laughter. They had already come all this way. The game had already begun.

"BOO HOO, BOO HOO, UEE HEE HEE! HOW CAN YOU REFUSE WHEN YOU ARE ALREADY PLAYING...? FIND THE KEY, AND I'LL LET YOU BE FREE, FREE! THE KEY IS HIDDEN FROM THE EYES."

The trio gave each other confused glances. Jevil smiled on the other side of the door. This was new. This was exciting.

"THE OLD SHOPKEEPER KNOWS A SECRET."

The trio left, leaving Jevil with his thoughts. Were they really gonna unlock the door, just to play with him? He wouldn't have to be alone anymore! Oh, this was so exciting!

Seam sat in his shop. Waiting for nothing. Just living, when the Lightners returned, asking of a strange prisoner.

"Ehh...? What are you talking about..? A prisoner with an odd manner....?"

Seam's eyes went wide with realization.

"No, you couldn't possibly be talking about HIM...?"

Kris, the Lightner nodded.

Seam shook his head. They wanted to know about Jevil?? But why??

"...I see. After all the trouble I went through to lock him up, you want to release him?"

They nodded.

Seam looked down, thinking of his old friend, and how lonely it must be down there in the dark for all those years.