I - The Dangerous Journey

Lorena was already annoyed and worried about the lack of news from her relatives. It had been weeks since her husband, son, and daughter-in-law had been summoned for a mission and disappeared, without giving her any information. She was still at her great-aunt's house, in Costa Rica, sitting on the porch next to Sophia and Helen, on a bench, lost in thoughts. From the place where they were, it was possible to see the mountains, with all their native beauty.

"The view from this place is wonderful!", Helen commented, but Lorena didn't even notice. Flustered, she stood up uneasily and gave voice to her thoughts.

"Oh my God! I can't stop thinking about where they are now. They could be here with us, enjoying the wonders of this place, but no; they are preparing for a war that no one hears about. Oh, Lord, are they in danger?"

"Mother, sit here in this rocking chair and relax. We must wait. Unfortunately, we cannot solve all the problems of this world. Merko, Nicholas and Zara are adults and smart; they'll be able to handle anything.", Sophia looked at the horizon and, smiling, continued. "Now relax, breathe, and look at the blue sea. See how beautiful the nature is here."

Helen took Lorena's hand and made her sit beside her. Then, she placed her hand on her grandmother's right cheek, as if with that gesture she could appease her mind. Lorena felt good about this caress.

"Look at the birds singing, it looks like a symphony. It makes you want to listen for hours. Listen, mother, how good it is. It even makes you want to sleep..."

At that moment, the owner of the house entered the room, smiling. She had a tray in her hands.

"Do you want to drink something? It's already four o'clock and good tea always helps with digestion." suggested Mrs. Isabelita, Lorena's great-aunt.

She was one of the few relatives Lorena had. Everyone else, including her parents, had already died. The aunt always asked her grand-niece to come and visit her and, this time, the long visit had been very enjoyable. If it were up to her, Lorena's stay with the girls could last a lifetime.

"Thanks aunt. I accept. How about you, girls?"

"I want it too," the two said in chorus, and began to laugh.

Lorena looked at the girls as they sipped their tea. Although the place was wonderful and her aunt's company was too, she thought it was time to return to the United States. There were no signs of danger in the media and the girls had to go back to their studies. She watched the news on the television and read the newspapers regularly, trying to find out if something dangerous or some war was coming, but there was no sign of danger. While she lived there, in an unknown panic, everyone lived a normal life in Los Angeles. Lorena also began to suspect that there was something wrong in the story that Merko told her.

"Sophia, have you talked to your friends on social networks?" She was trying to find out if her suspicions were unfounded.

"Yes, Mom."

"How's our country? Is there any sign of war or invasion?"

"No, Mom. I already asked them and they told me that everything is normal around there. No one has heard anything about a possible invasion. I find it all very strange..."

Helen and Aunt Isabelita only heard the two of them talking, without sharing their opinions.

"We can't just stand here waiting for something that may just be a suspicion. I also called some of my acquaintances and there's nothing new happening there. Meanwhile, Merko, Nick and Zara are taking too long to give us any news. You know what? I think we'd better get back."

"I agree, Mom", Sophia said, eager to return. "Although I receive the university's classes by e-mail, I miss the social coexistence. In addition, I have many practical Environmental Engineering assignments that I need to do."

"I want to go back too, Grandma. I'm very behind with school and I'll have a lot of homework to do when I get back", Helen was homesick too.

"Nothing is better than a good explanation from the professors in college when we're in doubt", Sophia showed her concern.

"I think the only person who doesn't want you to leave is me. I assume that I'll miss you very much", said Mrs. Isabelita, with tears in her eyes, already sensing the departure.

Lorena, immediately, hugged her and thanked her for the good hospitality she had given them, welcoming them into her home.

"So, it's decided! Three days from now we'll be back home. It will be enough time to pack up our tickets and luggage," Lorena decided, not imagining the danger they would be in when they returned. "I also want to return for another reason: I must go to the doctor; I feel some strange pain in my bones. Not to mention that I seem to be with lumps in my armpits, in both arms. I've lost almost fifteen pounds, even with our aunt's wonderful food. I'm getting worried..."

"Niece, you need to take care of yourself, it could be something dangerous. As soon as you arrive, search for a doctor and, please, give me news. You're always taking care of everyone and forgetting about yourself. Do you feel pain under your arms?"

"No, aunt."

Lorena felt a frustration build up inside her soul.

"What reason would the world have to turn against me? Will I die soon?" Her mind was filled with dark thoughts.

Helen could feel the sudden sadness that had taken hold of her grandmother and approached her, hugging her. Using only telepathy, she said:

"You'll be fine, Grandma. There's a solution for all problems in this life. Sometimes, it comes from where we least expect it."

"How strange, I seem to have heard your voice inside my head!" Lorena commented, impressed, looking at her granddaughter.

"It must be the weariness because of all this malaise. Don't worry, everything will work out, niece", said Mrs. Isabelita.

Helen nodded, for she hoped to see her grandmother healed. She imagined that her mother and grandfather, being people of the future, would have a solution to Lorena's problem.

Sophia looked at her mother with a worried look and Helen could feel a mood of tension in the women who were talking at that moment. She remembered a word she had read in school books and heard on the news.

"Cancer...," she thought.

__________________________

Read The Phantom Man Duology by @chaienesantoswriter

Genre: Fantasy

Target: YA