XII - Death in the Arena

The second match between pairs started. On Merko's team, Thobara and Ghotta would carry the axe. They understood that the weight of the weapon made it formidable. They started fighting against the sergeants Virna and Kamoa, on Mirov's side. The heavy weapons in the hands of the women left the Terrans even more curious with the fight's progress.

In their thoughts, the two spoke for a moment:

"Ghotta, let us protect each other, just like we trained. This way, we'll increase our chances in the fight."

"Understood, Sergeant."

Captain Kirubi watched, curious, the attitude of the women of his team, who showed courage in front of their enemies. Merko, on the other side, was more confident, because he knew of the ability of the warriors. He watched each movement as if he wanted to step into the ring and fight in their place.

The blades began to cut through the air and the clash of its edges touching the weapons of the enemies could be heard. Virna made the axe dance, the weapon seemed light in her arms. Ghotta and Kamoa fought each other with strength, while Thobara and Virna exchanged elegant, precise strokes that left the viewers shivering with tension. The Star Hunter's fighters positioned themselves back-to-back, while the rivals surrounded them with gentle movements of their legs, searching their flanks to attack. Sparks streaked the air at the touch of sharp blades between Ghotta and Kamoa, until a shout made everything go silent.

Thobara had cut Virna's leg in a clean incision, the amputated thigh squirting blood on the other fighters. Taking advantage of the distraction, Kamoa hit Ghotta on the shoulder, not striking it fully, because the other one dodged in time, but paralyzing the arm.

"Can you stay in the fight, Ghotta?" Thobara asked the partner, mentally.

"No, Sergeant. I'm unable to fight and the pain is unbearable. I think I'll die..."

"Not today, my friend. We'll still fight have many battles together. Don't worry I'll help you."

Thobara looked at Merko with a worried air and he understood that they had to stop the fight. The fighters from the two teams needed treatment, and while the spectators wanted the fight to continue, Merko raised his arm and opted for a draw, as did Kirubi. For them, the life of their soldiers was of vital importance.

At that moment, Kamoa held Virna in her arms, and though the other fighters thought that she was helping her, it was already too late.

"It can't be... You can't die now, Virna!" Her friend raged, weeping over the life of her companion in so many battles, which was gone.

She screamed like a ferocious lioness when she lost her friend, echoing through the entire arena. There was a moment of collective commotion at the sad end of that struggle.

Mirov didn't like their attitude, that tie. He wanted the fight to continue to see if his champion would defeat Thobara. He needed to win.

Kirubi had defied him clearly and he had even thought of demanding the fight to continue, but he needed the captain for the final battle. He promised then that after defeating his enemies, he would put an end to that insolent commander's life. He could scarcely imagine that there was a new idea among the humans present, something that could be dangerous to Mirov's plans.

"Yes, the gods can also die."

Floating stretchers arrived along with the doctors of the two ships, taking Ghotta for treatment and Virna's body to be veiled and mourned in the ship. Thobara placed a hand on Kamoa's shoulder, which was still kneeling on the ground, with tears in her eyes. She offered her hand for the other to stand.