XVI - Pyramid

Commander Merko stepped into what looked like the inside of a pyramid. The walls around him were made of stone blocks, filled with hieroglyphs. Lighted torches allowed him to see the path. Carefully, he stepped into the first sector, walking down a rocky corridor. As soon as he took his first steps, two monsters made of boulders appeared, as if they had left the walls, making strange sounds like they were war roars. They charged at him, who was startled by the size of the creatures.

Their eyes lit up bright red and fired laser beams at the captain, who defended himself with his sword, dodging the rays. He approached the two things and tried to cut them with his sharp blade, but it didn't even tickle them. One creature counterattacked Merko with a movement of its arm, hurling him a few feet away, causing him to hit strongly the wall.

Dizzy, he saw the monster coming toward him. He tried to flee down the corridor ahead of him, but the ground opened, revealing a well full of nano-robots, used on planet Life to devour matter. He could imagine that if he fell there, it would inevitably be his end. So, to escape the stone monster that seemed invincible, Merko jumped to get to the other side and almost fell into the bottom of the well. With claws that came out of the gloves of his costume, he reached the surface with difficulty. This way, he reached the other end of the pyramid, but the danger hadn't passed, for there were three giant beetles waiting for him.

"It can't be. More of this... I think I'm getting too old for this!"

The animal's antenna swayed menacingly and their claws danced, showing that they wanted to tear him to pieces. The captain, with the sword, cut the antennae of the animals and fired with the pistol, hitting one of them.

Taking advantage of the distraction, the other giant insect grabbed him by the waist, to cut him in half. The captain felt the pressure, and for a minute, he thought he couldn't get rid of the arthropod's strength, as the third one approached him. Even being oppressed, about to lose his strength, Merko took the sword and cut the neck of the approaching scarab. Then, he thrust the sword into the head of the one that was holding his waist. It was the end of the menacing beetles, which disintegrated, disappearing into thin air.

The captain felt tired and a secret door opened inside the pyramid. Then, he saw himself on the top of a mountain, before a valley. On the other side, in a place like where he was, Kirubi seemed to be fighting medieval soldiers.

As soon as he destroyed the last soldier, Kirubi began to go down the great mountain where he had gone to after having crossed the most recent door. In a few minutes, he came upon a castle. As soon as he got near, the drawbridge descended, freeing the exit of soldiers with metal armor and helmets in which only the eyes appeared. They used swords and shields that covered them to the height of the chest; they marched in pairs leaving the castle gates with a scream of fury.

The captain withdrew the spear and defended himself from the blows that came from everywhere. The swords struck him, but he retaliated by attacking the enemies with the laser of his weapon. With great power, the ray cut the soldier's shields and armor.

They were being decimated until one jumped on Kirubi and knocked him down, causing him to drop the weapon, which rolled into the fosse that surrounded the castle.

Kirubi then took the sword from the waist of one of the soldiers, who was dead on the ground, and killed the one that had fallen on him, cutting his chest. With this sword, he continued to fight until he eliminated all the rivals. Lastly, he looked at the well, to see where his spear had fallen.

"I'm still going to need it to get out of this maze."

As soon as he began to enter the dark water, snakes appeared, ready to stop him. He didn't even think twice: he dived to them. He reached the bottom and, with the sword, he cut the reptiles in the middle. One of the snakes hugged him as if it were a jiboia, suffocating him, wrapping his neck almost entirely. Captain Kirubi struggled to get rid of the venomous monster, almost losing all the air that still filled his lungs. Able to make few moves, he managed to take the knife and cut the snake. Then, he dived to get his spear. As he emerged from the water, while it dripped from his body, Kirubi saw the castle disappear like it was smoke. The captain continued to walk to cross the valley and find a possible way out.