XIX - A New Plan

The Science spaceship was ready to provide support in the event of medical emergencies or even for the rescue of survivors, if there was need. But in the heat of the battle, where people fought on everywhere, the ship's crew couldn't keep up with the tragic unfolding of the events. Something destabilized their frequency, making it impossible for them to see the end of the battle, leaving Zara and Drako eager for news. That was when Nicholas and Tibor materialized in the scientific ship. Little Wolf ran to meet the young man, who surprised everyone, because he cried inconsolably. Nicholas couldn't express the sad news of the death of his father and friends. Zara, seeing his pain, hugged him, worried. Tibor's eyes were also teary at the thought of how he would tell such sad truth to them.

"Where are the others, Nick?" Zara tried to ask, but Nicholas said nothing, still in shock.

Tibor interceded:

"They're all dead. Merko, Sivoc and Crom... All our crew. From our side, only Nicholas and I are left. No one survived from Mirov's side."

Zara was frightened by the news, the red, sad eyes with the tears that threatened to form. She hugged Nicholas along with Drako, while Tibor, injured, watched them from a distance.

"Why didn't you ask for our help?" Drako asked Nicholas, with a sad look. "We could've helped avoid this catastrophe."

"It wouldn't work. They were at advantage. Somehow, they managed to neutralize my telekinetic forces and all of Merko's psionic powers."

"Now I can understand why they built pyramids and obelisks all over the planet. I've made a study of the material used in these structures and discovered that they had quartz crystals. The central computer made an analysis of the pyramids and verified that they had internal chambers that transformed radioactive energy into electromagnetic, capable of modifying the gravitational field generated by the planet Earth. This way, the telekinetic powers were interrupted and neutralized. This was the real goal of those gigantic artifacts: to nullify your powers."

"It was a trap", added Nicholas, who spoke again. "Now it's too late."

"The worst thing is that we fell into it so easily. We should have realized that there was something wrong with so many constructions being done by our enemies on the planet" Tibor was unhappy.

"Knowing that the engineers Mirov brought were able to invent the gravity-deforming weapon and seeing the alignment of these pyramids with the stars of the Orion and Sirius belt, I thought they would serve as a space-time passage to the constellation of the hunter, if he had need..."

"This could only come from a demon like Mirov. That bastard from hell! He died and took our friends with him. Well, nothing else holds us here. I think we should go. The other ships were destroyed and, to our luck, the Science spaceship didn't participate in the combat, otherwise it would certainly be broken as well. Maybe we would all be dead now. Drako, I ask you to prepare the ship to leave. Let's go back to Orion and, from there, we'll think about the next step", Tibor pointed out, wanting to go home and try to forget everything that had happened.

"We're safe here. Calm down, it's all over", Drako commented. "You need to rest. This was all very stressful. There are no more threats..."

"I don't want to stay here any longer." Zara was saddened by all that had happened.

"Please, my dear, we must rest. Tibor's wounded and needs care. There's no danger here, at the bottom of the sea. No one can do us any harm. Mirov's forces were wiped out", Nicholas tried to show he was strong, but inside he was destroyed.

"It seemed like everything was under control and now we lost our friends. Nick, you need to stay strong. I'll stand by your side, my love."

Zara led him to the room to rest. Bob came back in that instant and entered the ship's hangar. The platform was empty. No scout ship had returned.