XXII - The Farewell

Thousands of light-years ahead, in the Andromeda galaxy, the time travelers finally reached their destination, the planet Life. All the communication channels were willing to warn the population of the success of the mission and that Mirov would never disturb their well-being again. For this reason, the inhabitants were in a party mood to welcome the heroes. Queen Isadora and Counselor Kenan went to the dock at the central base, in the town of Perfectio, to receive them. A celebration awaited them, with many tributes, due to the bravery of everyone. Merko, Nicholas, Zara and the rest of the winners of the dreaded battle against Mirov paraded through the city, cheered by the people.

After arriving at the royal palace, Merko decided to personally report the result of the mission to Queen Isadora and Counselor Kenan. He made his way to the throne room, along with Nicholas and Zara. The young man, this time, was in his human form, just like the others. The captain explained everything that happened to the ruler, who was very grateful to everybody.

Before counselor Kenan said something, the queen said:

"Once again, I want to thank you, Nicholas. You saved my life when I was a child, and now you freed us all from the claws of a madman like Mirov." She looked at Merko and Zara. "I am also grateful to you, Merko, a renowned hero of our planet. Upon learning of our problems, you promptly came from Earth to risk your life for us. Thank you, captain!" He shook his head in a sign of thanks.

The monarch held Zara's hand. "Darling, you are an example of someone who fights for her family and her people. You show the women's strength to solve any kind of problem, both in profession and in life."

Kenan then said:

"Later, we'll hold a ceremony where we'll personally thank all those who participated in this mission, because you managed to prevent the destiny of humanity from being changed. We are the real proof of this, in this exact moment, being alive."

Next, a great banquet was served for them. But during such celebration, Nicholas and Zara couldn't feel at ease. The anguish for seeing their daughter and family members pressed their breasts, and they couldn't hide the nervousness. They asked Merko once more to leave as soon as possible.

Merko, then, explained to the queen that they needed to return to planet Earth, because they needed to see their family again, the homesickness was great. Queen Isadora granted them permission to leave. As she already knew about their lives among humans, she understood the reasons for so much anxiety to go back. While the ship was being prepared, Zara and the captain went to see again the relatives and friends who remained there.

The monarch and counselor Kenan knew Merko's and Zara's place was alongside the people they loved, on planet Earth. In the depths of her heart, the queen approved of Merko and Zara's stay along with Nicholas and his family. The only thing that kept them from assuming this on planet Life was that old law that forbade the relationship between them and the humans.

And why not change that? Therefore, before they left, the queen called them into her presence once more.

"I need you to listen to what I have to say."

"We're ready to serve you, Your Majesty!" Merko analyzed her with his argute ears.

What could have happened that made her so anxious? The couple beside him also kept their senses alert to the queen's words.

"As you know, it isn't permitted by our laws that the planet Life people marry or have children with the humans of the past. This law was created to avoid problems in the various monitoring missions of our ancestors on planet Earth. This way, the future wouldn't be modified. But we also know that you, Merko and Zara, are the most prudent people I know."