IV - Danger on Earth

On the other day, it was Friday, in the schoolyard, when a man approached Ivy while she was grabbing a snack at the cantina. He wore black sports pants and a blue shirt with white vertical stripes; his hair was dark brown and he combed it to the right, splitting it sideways. The secretary looked at him and noticed that she knew him:

"I liked your disguise, Ann."

"Collin! You want to ruin everything by calling me by name. What brings you here? You need to help me, not get in the way... It's not common for a school secretary to have visitors while she works."

"The reason is relevant, you'll understand", he said, removing an object from a black folder that he held in his hands.

Ann was curious and he continued:

"Agent Soliver, I brought you the copy of the transmutation recognition glasses that can help you recognize any suspects in this school."

These special glasses had been obtained from an alien who had been studied by the capturing agency in the government's base in Arizona many years ago. He had died and left this technology that they weren't able to copy. The glasses worked perfectly and were strategic, because they allowed them to recognize transmuted beings because of the electromagnetic radiations emitted by the bodies with this condition.

"Please, call me Ivy. I see you're doing an effort to ruin my disguise. Even more so calling me agent. For the love of God! It doesn't even sound like you're a member of the Pentagon's Alpha-Omega team."

"All right, I won't do this anymore. But take the glasses. I used them while I waited for the recess time and I didn't see any strange person."

"How did you get inside the school?"

"I showed my badge and said I worked for the government. I used the excuse that I was doing a routine check up on the school's safety. I said I was inspecting to see if the country's educational institutions were prepared for calamitous events like fires, cyclones, and the like, and they let me in."

"If they believed you, fine. Thank you for the glasses. I'm going to use them frequently during class breaks and if there's an alien out here, I'll find it."

"Chief Steighem confided to me that a large international agency is being organized to bring together all the secret intelligence services on aliens into one globalized body. It will be called WAEP, the World Agency of Earth Protection, and there are chances that the boss will be the director of the agency because of his experience in capturing alien beings. This body will be subordinated to the UN and the construction of its headquarters is already well advanced. If you succeed in this mission, you could be promoted and given some leadership position, as could I. Let's work as a team. What do you think?"

"Awesome... I would love to participate in this new agency. Imagine if we could work together with agents from other countries and have an international database at our disposal as if it were an Interpol to capture ETs!"

"I'm glad you liked the news. I've always liked you very much. You must know that." Collin almost revealed the love he felt for Ann.

He had always hidden the attraction he had for the agent in fear of being unrequited and losing her company. He also feared that if the agency found out, it would result in the loss of his job. The amorous relationship between agents wasn't accepted in any case by the organ. This would compromise the efficiency of the investigations, according to the agency's behavior rules.

Ann felt that Collin seemed to want to say something else, but she ignored the fact since not even by far it came through her head that it could have anything to do with her.