XXVII - Cornered

Mr. Steighem's eyes roamed the command room and fixed on Helen, then stared at the lady who was accompanying her. In the meantime, he was mentally talking to Agent X, so that the humans wouldn't hear them. Dargan, noticing the new voice making itself heard, looked at the director from that place, startled.

"Who's this lady, Agent Netil?"

"She's Helen's grandmother and Merko's wife."

"What an interesting thing! Two baits to catch a big fish, the target I've been chasing for so long. I appreciate you bringing them to me. It was a masterstroke."

"Actually, Mr. Steighem, it was Agent Dargan who captured them."

Ronald Steighem approached Dargan and shook his hand.

"Congratulations, agent! You did a great job. With your help, we'll soon get our main target, Merko."

"Who are you who know so much about me and Captain Merko?" Dargan stared at the stranger, astounded.

"Be patient, spy. In the right moment, everyone will know who we are. For now, we must stick to the plan," said the director.

"As I said, sergeant, you'll know everything at the right time." Agent X spoke out loud.

Upon hearing that, Ann got into the conversation, looking as confused as Dargan:

"I don't understand this conversation, Collin. Who's this agent and why do you call him sergeant? We don't use military positions here at the agency."

"This is Dargan. An undercover spy agent, a specialist in disguise, that our HQ sent before us for this mission. When we finish this, I'll introduce him to the others who act like him", the agent replied, to foil Ann's curiosity.

At this moment, Helen, who had also been able to hear the conversation, looked at Dargan angrily, feeling betrayed. She had lost confidence in the one who had sworn to protect her. Before, the girl thought he was good and was helping them, but now, faced with the new facts, she concluded that he had taken them right into a trap. What everyone there wanted to do was capture Merko, her grandfather.

Dargan felt Helen's contempt in his direction, but that wasn't the time to explain himself. He just wanted to understand what was happening.

"Why do you want to catch my husband? What did he do to you?" Lorena interrupted them all by mentioning Merko.

"It's a long story, ma'am. You'll know everything while you rest in our prison", Steighem said.

The girl's grandmother was surprised by the arrest:

"But I didn't commit any crime... Why do you want to arrest me, sir? I have the right to talk to a lawyer, and I need to take care of my granddaughter," the lady was perplexed in face of the latest events.

"Is that really necessary, sir?" Dargan asked, finding it absurd. "After all, these are two people who can't do us any harm, a madam and a girl."

"Trust me. We need time to think and the enemy's coming. I have information that his ship's already approaching Earth. With them arrested, we'll focus on our main mission: to capture the commander. Not to mention that the girl is dangerous. She has powers she can't even imagine. Put guards to watch them all the time."

"What do you mean with this conversation? Commander Merko arriving on a ship? Helen with dangerous powers?! Could it be that the medicine that Dargan applied to me had some hallucinogen or is it real?" Lorena thought as she listened to all that talk.

Helen was also thinking of some way to save her grandmother, but she was frightened by all those bad men surrounding them, and she knew they were at the bottom of the ocean. She had to find a way to escape.