XXIV - Bermuda Triangle

Hidden away in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, the International Base of Alien-Origin Captures and Projects was fully ready and started to operate perfectly, with the highest technology on the planet. It was built in the Bermuda Triangle, a place where ships, submarines and airplanes avoided using the route due to the successive cases of disappearance reported by the media. This fact helped keep its secret character. The mooring allowed spaceships with large dimensions to be hidden and the place was all illuminated, since at that depth the sunlight rarely appeared. All the world's most advanced, ground-based, and interplanetary technology was designed and tested in that advanced center.

The director was Ronald Steighem, former head of the quondam Alpha-Omega agency, which was now united with other alien-catching bodies around the world, creating the new agency, WAEP - the World Agency for Earth Protection. He had been designated to the post because of his long experience in extraterrestrial contacts. Countries in Europe and Asia had joined the United States of America in this project, which aimed to protect humanity from extraterrestrial invaders.

The architectural format of the base was discoid in its highest portion and in the towers that fixed it to the bottom of the sea. Some buildings were rounded and interconnected by underwater vehicles and elevators. The strange part was that the technology used didn't seem to be from Planet Earth, and only the director of the agency knew the source of that knowledge.

The representatives of the other countries were astonished to see the buildings that director Steighem insisted on accompanying personally, and wanted to know everything about that wonder, but he said that he would reveal everything in due time. That information was ultra-confidential.

A special dome involved the whole building and allowed a thermal and gaseous control of the internal ambiance. There were recreation areas in the complex and a good military defense structure. Many ships moved in this space and they had the ability to travel in the aquatic and aerial environment. The lights could be seen at three hundred feet from the place, and when the transport modules arrived at the hangar, they entered a landing chamber where they underwent depressurizing to access the interior of the base.

Ronald Steighem was accompanying from the central command room the latest news about his agent's missions. Ann Soliver and Collin Netil were already working at that place and were preparing to go back to the school where they had found the alien for further investigation.

"How's your hand, Ann?" Netil seemed curious about the agent's situation.

"It's still immobilized, but I believe that in a few months I'll be able to shoot and fight. My punch will get stronger with this bionic hand. But, for now, I might as well shoot with the right."

"I hope next time you're more careful. Our enemies are strong and have high technology."

She took the pistol from the holster with the free hand and rolled it with her finger in the locker, near the trigger.

Then, she stopped it, suddenly, pointing it forward to show her ability. Everyone in the director's office stared at her in amazement.

"This time, I'll be careful and won't face him alone. I'll use weapons to capture him and we'll work together, as a team." She paused for a moment, remembering the whole incident, thinking of some clue she had missed because of the shock that day. It was then that a phrase, until then unimportant, returned to her mind:

"While I was in the hospital, I remembered one thing that miserable ET said..."

"What was it? Was there time for you to talk? Now I'm curious", Collin Netil, lately, seemed to act strangely.

He lived with an unusual curiosity when the subject was the old attack.

"That bastard revealed that we were both looking for the same target there, at the school. That means that whoever moved that skeleton in the classroom was also wanted by the alien."