08. Good Luck

I would have never pictured myself sitting in the passenger seat of Mateo's truck

I would have never pictured myself sitting in the passenger seat of Mateo's truck. Let alone I would have never pictured myself playing laser tag with or in general. Here's one thing about me, anything that involves me to run is a big no for me.

"Why laser tag?" I protest, while turning to look at him.

"Because it's fun and it will loosen you up. No offense you seem too uptight," he says nonchalantly, keeping his gaze toward the road in front of us.

I'm not gonna lie the way he looks right now makes him look even more attractive. He has his left hand on the wheel while his right hand rests on the center console.

"Well thank you for the compliment even though I am not uptight," I say assertively.

He glances at me quickly, chuckles and faces back towards the road.

"Sure, whatever makes you feel better Veronica,"

I turn back to face the window and look at the trees. 'This a good opportunity to put yourself out there Veronica' I think to myself. Who knows maybe laser tag will "loosen" me up like Mateo says and I won't be so afraid to be alone.

I look back to the front and see that we're at a red light. I look down at the radio and see that it's off.

"So do you not like listening to music while you drive," I laugh and he turns to face me with a small smile.

"I didn't know if you liked the music I like. You can connect your phone to the blue tooth if you'd like," he stated while turning back to look at the road.

I took the chance and connected my phone to the blue tooth. I went to find a song and decided to play "The Adults Are Talking" by The Strokes. He seems like he would enjoy this song.

Right when it starts playing he quickly turns to me and has a surprised facial expression.

"No way you like The Strokes?!," he gasped, still looking surprised.

"Yeah, this is one of my favorite songs," I chuckled.

The light turns green but we don't notice because we're staring at each other smiling while the song plays gently. We're broken out of our trance by a car horn that comes from behind us.

Mateo turns around quickly and starts driving. I look back out the window and laugh quietly to myself. Maybe this hangout won't be so bad after all.

The rest of the drive we spent talking about other artists and some of our favorite songs. Turns out we have some things in common. Although, he said he doesn't listen to Harry Styles that is going to change if we're going to be hanging out more.

"And we're here," Mateo grinned while pulling into a parking spot.

We got off from the truck and started walking towards the entrance of the building.

"Are we going to be on the same team?" I question. "Because I really think it would be a great idea if we are. I'd rather be with you than being alone in there," I look up to find him already staring down at me.

"No," he confirmed.

I stop walking and look at him in confusion.

"What do you mean no," I stammered.

"I mean no," he stops in his tracks turning around to face me. "It's going to be more fun if we're on separate teams. Just trust me," his eyes soften when he looks down at me.

"Fine. Let's get this over with," I rolled my eyes and pushed past him walking towards the entrance.

When I get to the entrance, I'm about to open the door but Mateo beats me to it and opens the door with a smirk on his face. I mutter a quick thank you and walk in.

Once we're in there, we're able to hear the sounds of people running around while screaming and laughing.

We walk up to the guy who looks about a couple years older than us at the front and Mateo starts to talk.

"Hi can I get two tickets for the session at 5:45 please?" he politely says.

"Yes. That will be 30 dollars," the guy says looking between Mateo and I.

I start to open my wallet getting ready to pull out my money but Mateo stops me and looks at me.

"Don't worry about it. I got it," he assures me while I start to shake my head.

"No it's okay I can pay for myself," I laugh a little at his attempt to stop me.

He snatches my wallet out of my hand and I stop laughing.

"I said I got it Veronica. You don't need to pay if I invited you to hangout," he reassured while handing the guy his money.

When he gets the tickets he gives me my wallet back and I send him a semi glare.

As we're walking towards the place where we get put into teams I look around the place in awe. Everything is mostly neon colors. There's black lights hung up on the ceilings so it makes the colors pop. Mateo's white shoes look like they're glowing.

"Aren't you excited?" I look up at Mateo once we stop at the station where supposed to be.

"Oh yeah super excited," I say sarcastically while moving my hands around.

"Come on," he nudges my shoulder with his arm. "It'll be fun. I wouldn't have brought you here if it wasn't," just as he finishes his sentence he starts walking towards the vest that are hanged in the glow in the dark room.

As I'm about to reach for the vest next to him he swats my hand away and I look at him with a frown. Just as I'm about to complain a girl who seems like she is around our age walks up to the front of the group and claps her hands together.

"Alright everyone, if you are going to be on the blue team, please pick a vest from the right side of the room. If you are going to be on the red team, pick up a vest from the left side of the room,"

I turn my attention back to Mateo and all he does is point to the other side of the room. I stare at him for a couple minutes before I turn around and head over to the left side of the room. I guess I'm on the red team.

I pick up the vest and put it on and when everyone is already ready the girl continues on with instructions.

"The rules are no running, no pushing, no jumping over the railings, and lastly no fighting. If there are no questions, have fun and play safe," gesturing towards a dark room we have to enter.

I start walking towards the direction of the room but not until Mateo whispers in my ear.

"Good luck Veronica,"

I look up at him and my cheeks start to warm up.

"Good luck Mateo," I smile and continue my walk into the room.

Let's just hope I don't fall and embarrass myself.