18. Alone

Walking into the party hand in hand was not what I was expecting

Walking into the party hand in hand was not what I was expecting. Nobody really seemed to care though, so I guess that was good. The party itself seemed like fun in other people's eyes, but in mine I was terrified on the inside. That gut feeling came back ten times stronger and I could tell myself was, "hope for the best and prepare for the worst."

Mateo led us into the kitchen to get drinks, I hope he knows I don't drink. Once we got there he started getting red solo cups, suddenly someone hugged me from behind. I stiffened as I heard a manly chuckle from behind me. I turn around only to see Adam with a goofy grin plastered onto his face. Letting out a sigh of relief I start to laugh.

"You guys made it," he says while still hugging me. I look back at Mateo and see him sending Adam a glare, Adam lets go once he sees Mateo. "Yeah we wouldn't miss it. I heard you throw some great parties." I say as I nudge him with my elbow a little. "Well, I wouldn't say great. But you know." He says while taking a drink from his cup. Mateo and I just laugh at him trying not to sound conceited.

Someone from behind us calls Adam and he tells us he'll come back soon. I turn back to face Mateo and I see him pouring sprite into a cup.

"So what do you want to drink? There's beer and other alcoholic drinks." He mentions while pointing at the alcoholic beverages on the counter. "Actually I don't drink so I'll just take a sprite please." Beaming up at him he just chuckles. "You go it sweetheart."

Once we get our drinks, we make our way to the main area. I start scanning the crowd trying to find Alison anywhere but I can't seem to find her. Just as if she knew I was looking for her, Alison and Alejandro come up to us.

"Wassup Mateo," Alejandro and Mateo do that boy handshake thing while Alison hugs me. "Oh my gosh! Girl you look good!" Alison exclaims while looking at my outfit. I run a hand through my hair and smile at her. "Thanks Ali, love your outfit too!" She's wearing a cream colored dress that almost looks like silk. It stops just above her knee, she paired it with cute heels and jewelry. We talk for a couple more minutes until Alejandro catches her attention.

"Alison, lets go dance for a bit yeah?" She looks at me as if I had to give her approval. I just laugh and push her towards him. I watch them head to the dance floor hand in hand.

"Sweetheart," I look up to see a mischievous grin on Mateo's face. "Lets go dance." Uh oh. I should've prepared myself before this. Here's the thing, I don't know how to dance and I don't want to embarrass us out there. "Mmmm I don't know how to dance." He shakes his head at my reply. "Don't you worry," he bops my nose. "I'll help you." And with that he takes the cup out of my hand, places it at a table nearby and starts leading us to the dance floor.

The flashing lights makes it seem like everyone is in their own world. Most girls are just grinding on their boyfriend or a random guy. I'm not sure if I can do that to Mateo. I look for Alison and once I spot her I'm surprised at how she's dancing. Her back is to Alejandro's chest, his hands are on her hips, their both moving to the beat of the music.