10. A Thousand Thoughts

Driving back home from dropping Veronica off I can't stop thinking about her

Driving back home from dropping Veronica off I can't stop thinking about her. There's something about Veronica that made me want to get to know her. Maybe it's the fact that she keeps to herself or how she doesn't care what anyone has to say about her. She stays true to herself and I admire that.

But Veronica isn't the only person I'm thinking about.

If Marisela met Veronica she would be proud of me for getting to know her. She would probably say something along the lines of "Keep her M, you don't meet girls like that everyday."

God everyday that passes I miss her more and more.

I sighed while pulling into my driveway, turning off the truck and just stared at the garage door in front of me. I loved being home with Mom, Dad and Mariana but without Marisela it wasn't the same. Ever since the accident, I can't feel anything but guilt. I feel like the cause of her death was because of me. I couldn't do my job as her brother to protect her.

Mom and Dad always tell me that it wasn't my fault what happened to her but I just can't seem to tell myself that. Her death affected me immensely. She was my best friend, I could tell her anything. Although Alejandro and Adam are my best friends, they knew not to push me to talk about the death of my sister.

Running a hand over my face I open the door to my truck and get out. I lock the truck until I hear the alarm go off at least three times and unlock the front door. The living area is dark which means my parents must be asleep already. I head up the stairs and once I'm at the top I look down knowing if I look at her door I'll stop. But my feet betray me and stop.

And I do the last thing I want to do. Look up.

I haven't set foot in her room since that day. It's crazy to think that just that morning we were talking about going to take some pictures of Mariana.

I'm about to turn away until I hear a small voice.

"Mateo?," I look around the hallway and see no one. Until I look down and see my little sister standing there in her pajamas with a teddy bear in her hands. My eyes soften at the sight.

"Mari. What are you doing up it's late already," walking towards her and picking her up.

"I heard your truck and I wanted to show you the shoes Mommy got me!," I smile at her excitement.

"Well how about you show me tomorrow okay? Right now you need to sleep because princesses need their beauty sleep," I tickle her sides and she giggles.

It only takes a couple steps to get to her room. Mom and Dad had us all sleep next door to each other while they slept in a room downstairs. They raised us to be close to one another and I appreciate them for that.