34. New Year, New Argument?

The start of a new year always feels the same

The start of a new year always feels the same. Well in my opinion at least.

I don't understand why people say "New year, new me." Or when people set resolutions. Not saying that they shouldn't. By all means do what you want. But I just never saw the point. I never accomplish my resolution, so I never make one anymore.

*beep*

I pick up my phone from beside me and look at the message.

Mateo <3: Good morning Vero <3. Let's hang out today? I have something planned :).

A smile plays on my lips once I'm done reading the message. I love waking up to messages from him.

Okay :) at what time?

*beep*

Mateo <3: I'll be there at 6.

I read the time on my phone and see that it's 11:30am. After sending Mateo a quick reply back, I drop my phone back on the pillow next to me. I stretch out my arms and legs and let out a sigh.

Well it's time to get this day started.

~

As I add the final touches to my makeup, I try to come up with ideas of what Mateo has planned. He can be very creative, that's another thing I love about him. He didn't tell me anything specific, all he said was to be ready by six.

I check the time on my phone and see that it's 5:50 already. I slip on my shoes and start heading down the stairs to the living room. I had already told Mom I was going out and she was fine with it. She has been very accepting about this whole relationship. Oh and she loves Mateo, like loves. Whenever he comes over, she always sends him and his family food before he leaves. His Mom does the same to us and we are very grateful that both of our parents accepted the relationship.

Walking into the living room, I see Mom just watching TV.

"Mateo isn't here yet?" She turns to look at me and a small smile is on her face.

"No he's about to though. Dad is still at the hospital?"

"Yeah," she sighs and turns back to look at the TV.

I can see that it's starting to bother her. I know he loves his work and what he does. But sometimes I feel like he only focuses on that.

"It doesn't bother you? The fact that he's hardly ever here and if he is, you always have to go to banquets with him," I tell her and she shakes her head.

"When you get older you'll realize that not everything is like how the movies are. I love your Dad a lot, and he knows that. I know it seems like he's never here but when he is, he makes sure to tell me he loves me and always asks me how are you and Christopher doing."