35. Morning Talks

"Hello?" My groggy voice breaks the silence of my room as I answer the phone

"Hello?" My groggy voice breaks the silence of my room as I answer the phone. I didn't even see who it was, I'm still very sleepy.

I didn't sleep till late last night because of that argument Mateo and I had. It just makes me mad that he would assume that right away. If the roles were switched, I would've been supportive. But I guess everyone thinks differently.

The person on the other line speaks and it's exactly who I was just thinking about.

"Hey Veronica," Mateo says in a soft tone. I rub my eyes with my free hand trying to get the sleep out of my system. "Did I wake you up?"

"Yeah but it's fine," I move the phone away from my ear to look at the time. 8:36am. It's still way too early. "It's early Mateo, is everything okay?"

He usually wakes up an hour before me which would be like around ten. This is way too early so I'm assuming something must've happened. My mind always starts to come up with different scenarios. I hate when that happens, it eats my mind until it's all I can think about. I hate it.

"Everything is fine. Sorry for waking you up, I just wanted to ask if you wanted to go eat breakfast at the diner. We can talk about yesterday if you're up for it."

I let out a sigh and ran a hand over my face. "Yeah let me get ready," I say while sitting up and removing the blanket that laid on top of me.

"Okay I'll pick you up in 15," he takes a deep breath. "I love you."

I'm glad I'm not that mad at him. I never liked the movies that showed a couple arguing and then one of them leaves without saying "I love you." You never know what can happen, it doesn't matter if you're mad at your person. You still love them.

"I love you," I responded back.

~

I'm sitting outside on the bench we have on the front porsche. I got ready pretty quick. Just changed into some grey sweats, a black long sleeve, and my crocs. I brushed my teeth, washed my face, and tied my hair into a low pony. I did all that in just ten minutes.

There is still some sleep in my system but it'll go away eventually.

The sun is out and it's a bit chilly. Days like this are my favorite. The sun makes it feel not as cold but you're still able to feel the breeze.

When Christopher and I were younger, Mom and Dad would take us to the park a couple blocks down. We would always go whenever the weather was like this. During that time, it felt like I wasn't afraid of anything. If only it was like that now.

Mateo's truck slows down and parks in front of my house. I stand up from the bench and make my way to his truck. Through the window, I see him looking down at his hands. He usually looks at me and smiles. I guess not today.

I opened the door and sat down in the seat without saying a word.

He put the truck in drive and began driving us to the diner.