28. Time To Talk

"Okay baby girl, I'll see you tomorrow

"Okay baby girl, I'll see you tomorrow."

"Why do you keep calling me that?!" Mateo exclaims while I laugh. I started calling him baby girl just to mess with him and it is so funny every time.

"Because you're my baby girl," I lean across the booth and peck his lips. I start to pull away but Mateo grabs my face and kisses my lips again. He then starts kissing all over my face and I blush at the fact that we are in public.

"Okay," I grab his shoulders and push him away. "That's enough baby girl."

"Stay longer please." Mateo picks up his water and takes a sip. We've been at the diner for almost two hours already. I mean we got most of our assignments done which is good. But it's already getting late and I need to go home. I know he wants to avoid going home because of Marisela. He's told me he hasn't entered her room since before the accident and it hurts him just getting to his room.

"It's already late Mateo. I'll facetime you tonight if that makes you feel better." I tell him and his eyes sadden.

"Hey," I grab his hand. "Look I know it's hard going home. But you can't avoid it forever." I send him a weak smile hoping it'll make him feel better. I can't even imagine how he feels. I always say that I can't feel what others feel because it's true. I don't know how he actually feels and he doesn't know how I actually feel. But when we talk to each other, we understand what's going on in each other's minds.

"I know I know. It's just really hard V. I talked to my Mom and she said maybe therapy will help. But I don't want to go." He rubs his forehead with his free hand and closes his eyes.

"Well don't force yourself if you don't want to go. I'm sure your Mom will understand Mateo. Look I know sometimes it's hard to open up and talk more about it, but it helps. A lot. And I know I sound like a broken record, but you know I'll always be here for you." I lean across the booth once and catch his lips. The soft lips that make my days better.

He hums against my lips and seems to relax. He pulls away and has a smile on his lips. "You always manage to make me feel better Veronica."

"That's what I do baby girl," I smirk at him and pack up my stuff.

"Really V," He rolls his eyes. "We were having a moment and here you come with your 'baby girl' I might as well start calling you princess." My head shoots up and I look at him with furrowed brows. He has a grin on his face and his shoulders are moving up and down as he's laughing quietly. I've told him before that I don't like that name. It just sounds weird to me.

"Oh please don't call me that." I step out of the booth and move to Mateo's side. He scoots over to the edge of the seat and pulls me in for a hug. I rub his back and put my chin on the top of his head.

"Are you gonna stay a little longer?" I ask him as I pull away.

"Yeah, I have to finish this essay and then I'll head home. Might as well get it finished." I nod my head and adjust my backpack strap higher up on my shoulder. I run my hand through his soft hair and bring it down to his cheek. My thumb rubs his cheekbone softly as he looks up at me.