𝟬𝟵 || 𝘀𝗼𝗹𝗮𝗰𝗲

╔══════ ♥ ══════╗

↳ 09 , solace

warnings : mentions of abuse

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

❝and then she smiles, and that's what i'm after,
the smile in her eyes, the sound of her laughter❞

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

Hesitantly, you tapped on the door. Taking a deep breath in, you awaited a response.

Jean stood close by you, serving as backup if anything went wrong, and you had brought tour 3DMG in case you needed an emergency escape.

The door opened and a frail woman at the entrance eyes widened in shock when they saw you.

"y-y-y/n?" she stammered, colour vanishing from her cheeks.  You were lost for words too, so you gave your mother a nod.  "W-what do you want?" Her face broke out into an expression of fear.  A melancholy pain ached in your chest - you had known a happy reunion was unlikely, but the salt in the wound still stung painfully nonetheless.

"Nothing- well, not nothing... I don't want to hurt you, mother," you tried to reason with her.

"Please, y/n, don't make this any harder than it is. You're my daughter, I can't be the one to kill you, so I'll give you a chance to get out of here before I get an MP to arrest you."

Jean looked on at you in worry.  You glanced back at him with a morose look and turned to speak with your mother again.

"I came to explain to you, mother. Did you never find out what Mr. Pembroke planned to do to you and I?"
"Tch. Don't say that name..." she growled.
"You have to understand, I did it for you."

"You did nothing for me!" she snapped.

You stared silently back at her as sadness overwhelmed you. Your mother was rejecting you for the second time.  From the side, Jean stepped to you and placed a hand on either one of you arms, protecting you from behind.

"You did nothing for me... Nothing but cast shame upon my name! You want the truth? Don't you?" she spat.

Speechless, you nodded as Jean's hold on you tightened.  "y/n, maybe we should get out of here..." Jean murmured too quietly for your mother to hear.

Before you could answer, your mother's woeful shrieking resumed.

"I knew about Mr. Pembroke's plan! More than you did! The plan was for him to kill you and only you, not me."

You were speechless with disbelief.

"When your father left us behind, I didn't have the money to care of you. And so, Mr. Pembroke would be able to have his sweet revenge, and I could live a good life again! But neither of that happened, because of you. Pembroke's dead, and I'm a social recluse."