Fair

Maddy and Edward walked through the fair. Things didn't feel uncomfortable, but it wasn't necessarily comfortable either. She wondered what was going on in his mind. Maddy grinned when she saw a cotton candy stand ahead. Edward watched as her lips shifted upward and her eyes glued on the pink fluffy treat.

"You like cotton candy?" He ask.
"Love it." She said.

Edward walked a bit ahead of her and then reached the man over a five dollar bill and grabbed a thing of pink cotton candy. He smiled, and then handed it over to Maddy. She chuckled, and then picked a piece off and placed it in her mouth.

"Want some?" She ask-- her mouth kind of full.
"No, I'm fine." He said with his famous crooked smile.
"You never eat anything! No wonder you're in such good shape." Maddy said.

He chuckled, and then they continued to walk through the fair grounds. Maddy saw Mike Newton and Jessica Stanley in line to ride the Ferris wheel and waved at them. Jessica winked when she saw who she was walking with.

'Lucky girl. Not only is she gorgeous, but she's probably dating him now.' Jessica though. Edward chuckled, he wished they were together, but Maddy was off the market.

Edward and Maddy started walking towards a haunted house ride and that's when he fumed seeing Rosalie standing in the way. He knew she was here to cause trouble.

"I'll be right back, okay?" He said to Maddy.
"Okay." She said.

Edward walked off towards Rosalie, wondering what she was doing here. He knew it could only mean trouble since he didn't see anyone else with her. Her arms were crossed and her face was frozen in disgust when he approached her.

"What the hell are you doing with that. . . that human!" Rosalie scolded.
"I'm not doing anything with her besides walking around, Rose." He hissed back, "What are you doing here?" He questioned.
"Making sure you aren't making another mistake!"
"I'm not making any mistakes Rose." He said.
"Edward, what do you see in these girls? They aren't like us!"
"That's exactly what I see in them, Rose! They aren't like us. . . " He said looking over to where he left Maddy standing. She wasn't there anymore.

He looked around and listened to several different minds around him, trying to locate the dark haired girl. He couldn't see her anywhere, or nor could he hear any thoughts of her. It was useless with this many people around.

"Edward, just let her go-- Don't put us through this again." Rose pleaded.

Edward just walked away from Rosalie. He walked through the crowds looking for her. He had a bad feeling about her being alone in Port Angeles, especially in a crowded place like the fair.

Maddy bit down on her bottom lip as she followed behind this guy in a green shirt. At first she thought he was Mike, and decided to go and say hello, but then after following him around for five minutes, she realized he wasn't Mike, just some guy who shared the same hair cut and color t-shirt. She didn't know where she was.

She noticed a black haired boy looking at her. He chuckled, as he walked towards her. His green eyes were mesmerizing.

"Lost?" He questioned.
"Sort of. . . " She said following it with a small chuckle.
"I'm Josh." He said.
"Maddy."

He gave her a smile and then offered to walk around with her. She nodded her head, hoping he could be of some help to her. He turned around and winked at his friends and then started walking through the fair with her. He stayed a bit behind her and allowed his eyes to gaze over her body. He already had intentions of what he wanted to do to her.

Edward pushed through the crowds trying to find her. No one seemed to notice her. It was too crowded. He reached a group of guys and listened to their thoughts.

'Man, Josh is so lucky. Wish I would've snagged her. She'll be one hell of a fuck.' one guy thought.
'I wonder if she has a sister? Hell. . . I'd even take her once he's done.'

Neither of those guys had a very imaginative mind, but the third guy, kept on thinking about how beautiful she was. He had a good enough imagination that he pictured Maddy perfectly. Edward placed his hands into fist, and stormed through the fair a bit more quicker; but not so quick that the human's would notice somethings wrong.

Maddy spotted her car over in the parking lot and smiled.

"I see my car. . . Thanks Josh." She said.
"No problem. . . You're not leaving are you?"
"Yeah-- I need to be getting home."
"You sure? We could go out to dinner or something."
"Thanks, but I'm going to have to decline the offer." She said.

Maddy unlocked her car and started to open the door, until she felt a hand on her arm.

"I really think we should go out to dinner." Josh said.
"I'm sorry but. . . I can't right now." Maddy said.

Josh was starting to get pushy, and she really didn't like it.

Edward picked up on his mind quickly, and heard the thoughts he had about Maddy. They made him absolutely furious that he would think of her like that. He looked around and noticed most of the humans weren't watching him, so he quickly sped over to where they were standing.

"I'm not going with you!" He heard Maddy yell as Josh grabbed her arm.

Edward appeared behind her, and Josh quickly let go of her.

"Whose this freak?" He ask noticing Edward's different colored eyes, extremely pale skin, and how furious his face looked.

Maddy turned around and looked at Edward. She was surprised to see him standing behind her. But she was also very relieved.

"I suggest you leave." Edward said.
"Are you going to make me?" Josh questioned with a grin.
"If I need to. Maddy get in the car." Edward commanded.

Maddy got inside her car and peeked out the window as she watched Edward and Josh walk around to the front of the car. Josh pushed Edward.

"What are you gonna do about it." Josh spat.

Edward's nostrils flared. He would give anything to rip Josh apart, but he knew there was too many witnesses.

"Just back off." Edward said.

Josh's courage disappeared when he saw how dark Edward's eyes got. He slowly backed down and walked away. Edward walked to the driver's side of the door and opened it, peeked down at a confused looking Maddy.

"Scoot over. I'm driving." He mumbled.

Maddy crawled over to the passenger side and then placed her seat belt on. Edward turned on the car and then quickly pulled out of the parking spot.

"Woah woah woah. Slow down! I just got this car today." She said.
"Why the hell did you walk away from me Maddy?" he spat.
"You were busy talking to your sister." She said.
"I was coming right back to you! Do you have any idea how worried I was about you?" Edward said.
"I'm sorry-- I didn't know I couldn't walk away by myself." She mumbled quietly.
"You could have been hurt. . ." Edward said.
"I wasn't. I'm in perfectly good condition thank you very much." She said.
"Yeah, thanks to me. Do you have any idea what Josh was thinking about you? What his friends were thinking! It was repulsive, disgusting, disrespectful!" He said.
"How do you know what they were thinking Edward?" She ask facing him.

He had stuck his foot in his mouth. How was he suppose to tell her he knew what they were thinking, without telling her he could read minds.

"I just had a feeling, okay. Drop it." He said.
"You're extremely weird, Edward." She said gazing out into the night.

Maddy knew Edward was very weird. There was something about him and his family that made them unique compared to the normal teenager. She looked over at him and studied his perfect features. He stood like a statue. His skin was flawless and pale white. She reached over and pushed in on his arm, and felt how cold and hard his skin was.

"What are you doing?" Edward questioned.
"Why are you always so cold?" She questioned.
"I don't know. . ." He mumbled.
"Liar." She said turning her eyes away from his.

Edward Cullen was keeping a secret, and she was going to figure it out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~