Summer

Maddy laughed at Ava as she splashed Claire with water. The three of them was enjoying the first non-rainy day of summer. It was two weeks after graduation, and summer was in full swing. Claire had broke up with Chase the night of gradation to save herself future heart break, and Maddy could really see the change in her. She even stopped hanging out with some of her fake bimbo friends.

"So. . . How are you and Edward?" Claire ask.
"We're doing really good."
"You two are really good for each other. I'm sorry if I ever flirted with him in front of you or anything. I guess I was kind of jealous."
"You were jealous?"
"Yeah! Chase never looked at me like Edward looks at you."
"Claire, you can find yourself a really good guy."
"I actually think I have." Claire said softly.

Maddy narrowed her eyebrows, "Huh?" She said.
"I. . . uhm. I have a date with Mike Newton tomorrow night." Claire confessed.
"Mike?" She said with shock.

Claire and Mike had never really hung out before, so Maddy was wondering how exactly they came in contact with each other. Claire must have known what she was thinking.

"We ran into each other at the graduation party after Chase and I broke up. We talked, and I realized he's actually a pretty funny guy. We've been texting and chatting online a lot lately-- and he ask me out to dinner yesterday, and I said yes."
"That's great, Claire! Mike's a nice guy."

Claire smiled, "Yeah. I think I really like him." She confessed.

They laid out in the sun a bit longer, but soon the sunshine was over and the rain started. Maddy laughed, "Good weather doesn't last long around here-- does it?"
"Nope!" Claire said giggling.

The girls all walked inside, and retreated off to their rooms to get a change of clothes. Maddy decided to phone her dad and check in. She and Edward was going to visit him in two weeks. She couldn't wait to see him again. She missed him dearly.

"Hey dad."
"Hey buttercup. How are you?"
"I'm fine-- how are you?"
"I'm good. Work is wearing me out."
"Why? What's wrong dad?"

Maddy was concerned for her father. He was one of the head officer in the town he lived in.

"Just a lot of disappearances around the town." Her dad said.
"Are they linked together?"
"We're not sure-- no bodies are being found."
"That's strange."
"It is. So, I want you and Edward to be extremely careful when you come. Ava's staying there, isn't she?"
"Yeah-- I believe she is."

Ava didn't like planes that much, and she was a mommy's girl. Maddy ended her phone conversation with her father, and then decided to wash the chlorine from her hair. She took herself a quick shower.

Edward was leaned against the counter as he watched Esme prepare some sort of chocolate dessert. She knew Maddy loved chocolate, so she kept the refrigerator stocked with all sorts of things for her to snack on while she was over.

"So, when are the two of you leaving for your trip?"
"Two weeks. I'm going to be stuck inside a lot. Alice said the weather report is pretty sunny."
"What's going to be your excuse?"
"A fake cold-- and a migraine. So I'll stay inside a dark room."
"That doesn't sound like much fun." Esme said.
"As long as I'm around Maddy I don't mind."

Esme smiled. She loved seeing Edward like this. He was so alive now that he met Maddy.

Alice bounced into the kitchen with a smile stretched across her face.

"What are you so happy about?"
"Maddy is going to buy me something super cute in Pennsylvania!" Alice said.

Esme and Edward both laughed. Alice was so material at times.

"Does the trip look safe?" Edward ask.
"From what I can see it does-- It's got holes through it because Maddy doesn't know what the plans are while there. But her father seems worried about something."
"Maybe he's worried about our relationship. Maybe he thinks we're moving along too fast."
"No, no. I think it has to due with work. He's going to get called in." Alice said.
"It's his vacation week-- What can be so serious that they call him in?"
"That's what I'm not seeing." Alice said, "Someone could call in sick and they need him for that-- or something big could happen. I'm missing parts."
"Just be careful." Esme warned.
"I will be."
"And keep our girl safe." She said smiling.

Edward nodded his head. He would kill to keep Maddy safe. She was his world.

Edward hoped that it was nothing to be concerned with-- but for some reason, he had a bad feeling about her father getting called in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~