Karma

Maddy rolled over and fluttered her eyes open to the sound of her alarm clock. She pressed the button which would silence the small annoying machine, and then allowed a small yawn to escape from her lips. She looked beside her and scrunched up her eyebrows when she noticed Edward was gone, she had assumed he would stay around to at least say good morning.

She shrugged it off, and got out of her bed and walked over to her closet and picked out for clothing for today. She walked into the bathroom, and locked the door behind her so she could get dressed for school.

Maddy walked out of the bathroom dressed and ready for the day. Claire stood in the hallway holding a piece of tissue paper to her red nose. Her eyes were puffy, and Maddy could tell she had been crying. Her blond hair was tossed up into a messy bun. She looked like she had a rough night. Maddy just walked right past her though-- she didn't care what was wrong with her.

"What's wrong with Claire?" Ava ask when Maddy walked into the kitchen.
"I don't know-- I don't socialize with her." Maddy said.
"Girls, stop it." Susan said, "Claire had a rough night-- She and Chase broke up. So try to give her a break, Madison." Susan hissed.

A smile curved into Maddy's lips. That served her right, she thought. Claire had went out of her way to ruin Maddy's relationship with Aaron. Karma turned around and ruined her relationship with Chase.

"So, she's skipping school because of the break up?" Maddy ask.
"Yes. . . She's going through a rough time right now. I'm taking off work today and taking her out for a girly day. She deserves it." Susan said.

Maddy rolled her eyes. She didn't know what had come over her mother, but she didn't like it. She treated Claire like an angel.

"Whatever, I'm off to school." Maddy said.

She was looking forward to school today. A day without Claire walking down the halls, demanding attention and respect from every student. She was also looking forward to seeing Edward; she wanted to ask him why he left during the night.

She arrived at school and was surprised to not see the Volvo parked in it's usual spot. Instead, a large jeep was parked there instead. Edward's four siblings stood by the jeep, starring Maddy down as she got outside of her car. She slung her bag over her shoulder, and adjusted her worn HIM top, and began walking towards Alice. She hoped nothing was wrong with Edward.

"Where's Edward?" Maddy ask.
"What's it to you?" Rosalie snapped.
"I believe I was talking to Alice." Maddy snapped back.

Rosalie's face went to pure disbelief. She couldn't believe Maddy had said that-- normally humans were intimidated by her, but Maddy wasn't. Emmett placed a hand on her shoulder, which told her to be quiet, and Jasper calmed her down. Alice smiled widely as she stepped forward and linked arms with Maddy and drug her towards the school.

"Edward had to go away for a bit-- but he'll be back soon!" Alice said happily.
"Oh-- okay." Maddy said, confused as to why Alice had linked arms with her in the first place.
"I could give you his cell phone number if you want." Alice said.
"Sure." Maddy said, pulling out her razor. She programmed the number into her phone.

Alice then waved goodbye as the two of them parted ways. Alice walked down the hallway and rejoined her siblings who were standing by their lockers. Rosalie had ugly expression when the pixie haired girl approached them group.

"What the hell are you doing? This isn't a game of befriending every damn human in the school, Alice! You're just as bad as Edward." Rosalie spat.
"Oh shut it, Rose." Alice said, "Maddy's not that bad if you'd give her a chance."
"Not that bad? She's fucking human!" Rosalie said, her teeth clenched together.
"Just calm down, Rose." Emmett said.

She rolled her eyes and walked off. Alice shrugged her shoulders as Emmett followed behind the angry blond. Jasper blinked a few times and then looked into the eyes of his soul mate.

"You really think something good is going to come out of this?" Jasper ask.
"I think so. . . Edward is falling in love with her quickly." Alice pointed out.
"Yes, but. . . does she even like him in that way?"
"I believe she does, she just might not realize it yet."

By the time fourth period rolled around Maddy was extremely bored, and the only conclusion she could come to was because Edward wasn't around. Hayley was still there to keep her company, but it just wasn't the same. She planned on skipping lunch and phoning him. She didn't know why she was so concerned with his well being. It was clear, he was capable of taking care of himself since he was a strong vampire, so why was she concerned for him?

"You eating lunch with me and the gang today?" Hayley ask.
"Uhm-- I'm gonna skip lunch. I've got to make some calls." Maddy said.
"Oh. Okay, just make sure to do it outside. They hate when we use our cellphones inside the building."

Maddy thanked Hayley for the warning and then continued to jot down notes. Once forth period was over, she walked out and placed her books into her locker and headed towards the parking lot. Just as she was about to walk out the front door, a white sleeve was placed in front of her. She looked over and saw that the sleeve belonged to Chase, he was wearing a cheesy grin on his face.

"Can I help you?" Maddy ask, annoyed that he was stopping her.
"Yeah, you can. You and I. . . let's head to the movies tonight." Chase said.

Maddy closed her eyes and then opened them wider. Did she just hear him correctly? Was he asking her out?

"Are you asking me out?" Maddy ask, shaking her head to make sure she had heard it correctly.
"Yeah." Chase said, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.
"Didn't you just dump Claire last night?" Maddy ask.
"Yeah-- for you. I've liked you since you arrived." Chase said.

Maddy laughed.

"You really should have kept Claire." She said moving past him and walking out into the rain. She cursed lowly as she walked towards her car. She fumbled with the lock, but eventually opened it and climbed inside. She flipped her cell phone open, and scrolled through the contacts until she found the one she was looking for. She waited patiently for Edward to pick up.

Edward was sitting up on a mountain by Tanya's house when his cell phone started vibrating from inside his pocket. He pulled it out and flipped it open, expecting to hear Carlisle or Esme's voice.

"Hello?" He said.
"Edward?"
"Maddy?" He questioned, shock that it was her calling him.
"Yeah-- How are you? Alice gave me this number."

He groaned loudly, hoping she didn't think it was rude of him. He couldn't believe Alice gave Maddy his number-- he had come to Alaska to get rid of all thoughts containing her, the last thing he needed was for her to phone. Hearing her sweet voice was the last thing he needed right now.

"I'm good." He managed to say.
"Where are you?" She ask.
"Just out of town a bit. . . I just needed some time away from Forks."
"Is everything okay?" She ask.
"Everything's fine." He said.

Everything wasn't fine though. He was having a difficulty dealing with these new feelings he had developed for her.

"I figured you would have stayed and said good morning." She said laughing.
"Sorry I took off."
"It's okay. I was just expecting you there I guess."
"I didn't want to wake you."
"Understandable. When are you coming home?" She questioned.
"I don't know." He replied honestly.

He didn't know when he would return to Forks. He needed time to sort out these feelings for Maddy.

"Oh come on, don't stay gone forever. I'll miss those piggy back rides." She said with a light laugh.

He chuckled a bit. Was she flirting with him? He wondered.

"I left for a reason." He admitted.
"Why did you leave?" She questioned, her tone growing more serious and interested.
"Because. . . I was beginning to develop feelings for you." He said honestly.

Maddy couldn't believe what she had just heard. Edward was every girl's ideal man, and here he was admitting that he had feelings for her. She bit down on her bottom lip. The thought of Edward in that way had never crossed her mind-- or at least, if it did she didn't take any note to it.

"Seriously?" She ask.
"Yeah." He replied.
"So you left because of that! That's stupid. Come back." Maddy said.
"It's not that simple, Maddy." Edward said.
"What do you mean it's not that simple?" She questioned.
"I shouldn't be having these feelings for you-- it's dangerous." Edward said.
"How is it dangerous?"
"I don't wanna talk about it on here."
"Well, then come back and talk to me in person about it."
"I can't."
"You can. . . Please come back. I've got to go, Lunch is over. Promise you'll come back?" She pleaded.

He groaned-- how could he tell her no?

"Okay. . . I'll be back sometime tonight."
"Come over and wake me if I'm sleeping." Maddy said.
"No-- we'll just talk about it tomorrow afternoon." Edward said.
"No! Just come over and wake me. Talk to you later." She said flipping the phone shut before he could say another word.

She didn't know why-- but hearing that Edward had feelings for her, caused butterflies to swarm in her stomach.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~