Theories

Maddy had spent her entire creative writing period trying to think of theories she could feed Edward. She hadn't come up with any as interesting as 'vampire'. She was actually looking forward to reading his facial expressions when she said that. She was positive he would break out laughing loudly, which would cause the entire cafeteria to look at them strangely. She placed her books into her locker and then walked off towards the cafeteria. She spotted Edward sitting in a back table by himself. She walked through the line and grabbed an apple, she wasn't too hungry today, and walked over to where he was sitting.

"Hi." Edward said with a crooked smile as she sit down.
"Hey." She said.

Edward was nervous about hearing her theories. He knew if she was right, then he couldn't tell her that in the cafeteria where there were hundreds of students. What if she caused a scene? He knew they needed to be somewhere by themselves.

"So. . . how about you and I ditch the rest of the day." Edward said.
"What? Ditch? Are you joking?" She ask taking a bit of her apple.
"No, I'm dead serious. Ditching is healthy." He said with a smirk.
"Claire will rat me out." Maddy said thinking about her options.
"What if you have an excuse?"
"What's my excuse?" Maddy ask.
"I'll cover that-- just, give me ten minutes and then meet me in the parking lot." Edward said.

Maddy shrugged her shoulders and then sit quietly and finished her apple. She had no clue what Edward was going to do.

Edward had phoned Carlisle and ask if he could contact Maddy's mother to see if she could go and help for half a day at the hospital. Of course, Susan said yes, after realizing her daughter wouldn't be counted absent. Carlisle phoned the school, and told them that Maddy and Edward were going to be helping volunteer at the hospital, and needed to be excused for their afternoon classes.

After about ten minutes of waiting around, Maddy walked out of the cafeteria, and towards the front doors. She walked out into the parking lot and saw Edward standing against his Volvo. She wondered if his plan had actually worked.

"So, did it work?"
"Yeah-- and your mother even knows."
"My mom knows-- what did you come up with?" She questioned.
"We're suppose to be volunteering at the hospital this afternoon." Edward said with a grin.

Maddy chuckled. She couldn't believe Edward had got them out of their afternoon classes.

"I'll drive." Edward said motioning to his passenger door. Maddy nodded her head and got inside the Volvo, and buckled her seat belt as she waited for him to get in. Edward pulled out of the parking lot and started speeding off towards an unknown location to Maddy.

"Where are we going?"
"My house."

She nodded her head and watched as Forks passed her by. She had always wondered where Edward lived, she had no clue he lived outside of Forks. He drove up a small side road, that led to a beautiful open house. Her mouth dropped in awe of the house. It was smaller than the one she lived in, but so much more beautiful.

"Is anyone else home?" She questioned.
"Esme might be." Edward said.
"Esme's your mom, right?"
"Yeah." He said opening the door and allowing her to walk inside.

Edward looked around and didn't see Esme anywhere, he also couldn't hear her thoughts, which could possibly mean she was out hunting. She softly smiled and then shut the door behind Maddy.

"So, what's a theory?" He ask, walking up the stairs, headed towards his bedroom.
"Uhm. . . Bi polar?" She said laughing.
"That isn't a theory, that's an assumption." He pointed out.
"Okay okay. I'll tell you-- but promise not to laugh."
"I promise. . ." He said walking into his bedroom.
"I know it's going to sound extremely silly-- but. . . vampire." She said laughing at the end of her sentence.

Edward turned around slowly and looked at her. Part of him was shocked and terrified that she knew what he was-- but another part of him was happy and relieved. He swallowed the hard lump that had formed in his throat as he studied her facial expression. She was emotionless.

"How off am I?" She ask.
"You're not off." He said turning around.

His back now faced her and for the first time since stepping foot in his room, she glanced around the room. Journals were scattered everywhere, and there was no bed. She scrunched her eyebrows up in confusion.

"No bed?"
"I don't sleep." Edward said.
"Ever?"
"Ever."

He turned around and looked at her as she continued to study his bedroom. Why wasn't she running away? Did she not understand that he just admitted he was a vampire. He watched as she walked over to his music collection and glance around.

"How come you're not running?" Edward ask.
"Why would I run?"
"Did you just miss the part where I told you. . . you wasn't off with your theory? You hit it right on, Maddy." Edward said.

Maddy was a bit shocked at first, but deep down inside her-- she knew he was a vampire. But, that really didn't matter. Something told her that he wasn't dangerous.

"I know what you are, it doesn't make any difference." Maddy said.
"What do you mean it doesn't make a difference? I'm a monster!" He said, not understanding how she was taking this news so lightly.
"You're not a monster, Edward. You've never even tried to harm me." Maddy pointed out.
"I've thought about it though." He said.

Maddy turned around and faced him, wondering what he meant. He sighed and then walked over to the small sofa and began tossing some journals off. He patted a clean spot next to him, and Maddy slowly walked over and took a seat beside him.

"My family. . . we aren't like others of our kind. We call ourselves 'vegetarians', we only feed off the blood of animals."
"Others? You mean. . . "
"Yeah, dangerous to humans. We run into them time to time, but most of them are nomads, traveling place to place. We try to fit in as much as possible. We don't want to be monsters." He said.

Edward spent the next hour or so explaining the history of his family. He told her all about how he was dying of the Spanish influenza, and Carlisle changed him. Maddy was a bit surprised when she realized how old he really was, but she brushed it off her shoulder. She was interested in his life, he had so much to tell.

"So, why did you say you thought about hurting me before?" Maddy questioned.
"Your blood. . . it sings to me. It's the most powerful scent I've ever smelled in all of my existence."
"What kept you from killing me then?"
"I don't want to answer that." Edward said.
"Why?" She questioned.
"I'll tell you one reason-- I didn't want to disappoint my family." He said.
"What's the other?" She questioned.
"I said only one." He said smirking.

She giggled and shook her head. It was good to finally know what Edward was, it made understanding him a lot easier.

"So, any special powers?" She questioned.
"I can read minds." He admitted.
"I knew it!" She said excited that she had been right.
"So, what am I thinking right now?" She questioned, thinking about the number eight.
"I can't read your mind. I can only here a rumbling of whispers. It's like you have a thousand people in your head talking at once. I can't make out anything."
"So, you can read everyone else's?" She ask.
"But Bella's. She was just silent." He said.

Maddy nodded her head. She truly didn't know why he couldn't read her mind. She had always read people easily, and she thought she was fairly easy to read.

"So. . . will your family be mad that I know?"
"Rosalie will, and possibly Jasper, but the rest will be fine with it." Edward said.
"Alice can't wait to figure you out."
"What do you mean figure me out?" Maddy questioned.
"Alice predicts the future-- she has visions of it. She can't see your vision clearly, she says your mind isn't made up about something important." Edward explained.

She nodded her head, and glanced over at a clock on his wall. It was almost four thirty, which would mean his siblings should be arriving home soon.

"Should I go before your brothers and sister's get home?" Maddy questioned.
"You don't have too-- I just warn you though, Rosalie can be hard to handle." Edward said.
"So can I." Maddy said with a smirk.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~