Chapter 22: Post

Maeve:

Maeve:

I didn't sleep last night. Dreams kept me awake.

I turn around in bed and feel a round object lost in the sheets.

I remember being able to fall asleep only when I held it, tight in my fist. When I held it last night I felt a fading warmth, as if its twin had been held some time before. But as I fell asleep it became gradually hotter. Was he holding it too? The coin has always been cold when I held it, the warmth of my hand had no effect on it.

With the birds incessantly singing I wake fully and sit up to put on a warm jumper.

I walk downstairs, careful not to make noise. It's really early and don't wanna wake my parents.

I can see the main door from the top of the stairs and notice that the muggle postman had already arrived with the early mail. I pick up the post and shuffle it in my hands. Adverts as usual. Our real mail arrives by owl at roughly the same time. I turn to walk towards the tea room. The house is quiet, my shelter from the outside. I like quiet early mornings when I am the only one awake.

I leave the post on the low coffee table, noticing the owl on the window fence. I open it and a brisk gelid air makes me shiver. The owl has three letters but only one of them catches my attention. It's a dark green envelope with a silver wax seal keeping it closed together. I have seen these before, somewhere. I look at the back of it and gape. I hold an intake of breath as I read my name beautifully written with golden ink. I close the window shut, not leaving my eyes from the piece of paper.

I sit, placing the two other letters on the low table. I exhale as I break the seal. A rush of adrenaline goes though me as I slide the letter out of the envelope.

"The Malfoy Family and Slytherin House Representatives

request the honour of Your presence to the yearly Slytherin gala.

8:00 pm

Saturday, December 28th, 1996

Malfoy Manor, Wiltshire, England."

I close my eyes. my body keeps still. I keep myself composed, stand up, place the robust piece of paper back into the envelope. I hear noises upstairs. I keep it tight in my hands, as I hurry back upstairs.

I don't meet anyone on my way to my bedroom. I enter and close the door behind me, trying to be as quiet as possible. I don't want them to know I am awake yet, it's still early.

I sit myself down and think. I close my eyes and an overwhelming feeling immerses me. I feel determined to face this. I don't want to sulk.

I open my eyes and they fall to some sheets on my desk. I grab a pen and write.

"I have been invited.

M."

The only words I can bring myself to write.

I fold it quickly and thrust it in an envelope. I sneak out of the room, praying my parents to still be in bed. I tip toe downstairs and find the owl still perched on the fence outside the sitting room window. I guide the letter in his peak, lightly brushing on it's claws

"Take this to Draco" I whisper.

He didn't respond to my last letter but I know he read it. He wouldn't ignore this one.

-

I lie in my bed for some time after breakfast, mostly napping. But a distant unfamiliar hooting wakes me from my trance. I turn my head, one eye still closed. A white snow owl, fluttering his winds, perching itself on the railings of my bedroom window. This one is slightly bigger than ours. A large squared grey box in its peak. I approach and gently pull it from him.

I back off as he screeches. It doesn't seem friendly. I invite it in for water but it flies away at my movement.

I place the box on my bed and stare at it for a second. I open it carefully to find a piece of parchment folded in two. It's lying over a bundle of green fabric. I lift the parchment and open it, glancing behind it, too curious to see it's cargo.

"I know.

I'll be looking for you dressed in green.

D."

My heart races. He knows? I turn the paper to see the back of it. It's blank. I read the few words again, written in his neat cursive writing. I bring it to my chest closing my eyes, tension releasing from my body.

I lay the parchment to the side, now concentrated on the content of the box. I grab at two ends of the fabric, pulling it upwards, unfolding a dress. It's made of the softest velvet, of a deep emerald. It's elegant. As I pull higher, my arms stretched in front of me, the dress unfolds more. I notice a wide cut on the lower half of it. I walk to the mirror holding it against me. My face is tired, my hair up in a bun and my baggy pyjama giving me a sick look overall. I rock on the spot, admiring it slickly floating, light on my body.

-

Christmas came and went as fast as ever. My parents got me a new poetry book from my favourite author, as well as some wholly jumpers and chocolates.

I said goodbye to them on the 27th and watched tv until I fell asleep.

My mouth is slightly dry now and I don't have feeling in one arm, from the position in which I slept.

I sit up and look at the clock. It's midnight. I stand, the aura of heat which built on me as I slept vanishes, leaving me with shivers as I run to the kitchen to grab a glass. I fill it up with cold water and bring it up with me, into my room.

I take a sip and lower it to the bedside table. I to my bed, yawning but notice one of the corners of the box coming out from under it. The only light in the room comes from the street lamp outside.

I lift the box, placing it over my bed. I stare at it for a moment, before turning on the small light by my bed and cross the room to close the curtains. I drop my pants and slide the shirt off from my head. More shivers travel down my skin. I open the box, grab the dress and let it fall on me, keeping my arms raised. I adjust it and look down. I see the cut, my thigh completely exposed as I take a step forward to the mirror. My hair is lying straight behind me, my face clean and pale. I reach my hands behind me and gather my hair together in a low bun, held by my hand. I beam, feeling myself reddening. I never wore anything like this before.