Chapter 36: A plan

Maeve:

Maeve:

I walk down to breakfast, but before making my way in the hall I bring my hair to the front, trying to hide the hickeys he probably left on me.

I sit in my usual spots, a few tired looking students munching on pancakes. I grab some too and start eating, the sweet delicious sweetness makes me close my eyes in happiness. I turn to see if anyone I know is looking at me, awkwardly stuffing my mouth with food. I see Aria walking in, her eyes puffy and her clothes casual.

"Hey" She groans.

"Good morning" I greet back

"How come you are up so early?" She asks.

I drop my eyes to my plate, concentrating on my pancakes.

"Wasn't tired".

"Wanna chill somewhere today?" She asks with the voice of someone who hates life.

I gape at her.

"Mh, might have to pass. Got some homework to catch up on"

She raises an eyebrow.

"Ugh" She groans.

"Right, I think I'm gonna go back to the dorms and change" I say, realising too late this was a mistake.

Aria furrows her eyebrows.

"Change?" She asks suspiciously.

I open my mouth, my heart pounding.

"Umh yeah, I'm a bit cold, gonna put something warmer on" I save myself, but she's not fully convinced.

"See you tonight?" I ask her smiling as I stand.

"Whatever girl. I'm onto you" She chuckles. I blow her a mocking kiss.

I turn and two things happen unexpectedly and too quickly for me to process. Nott was about to walk behind me and my swift standing up makes us stumble into each other. I trip and he grabs my arm to save me from falling, doing so pulling me a little too close to him. I look around embarrassed.

"Oh sorry, I didn't see you" I mumble.

His hand rests on my arm more than necessary.

Then, with no warning, Draco walks past us completely and utterly indifferent to what just happened. In the past he would stare, even if for a moment, he could't help the looks of disgust and jealousy. But this time he completely ignores us, as if we were not there. He sits and my stomach drops as I see him wrap his arm around Pansy. I hear him speaking cheerfully, surrounded by other Slytherin students.

I remember his words:

"...we can't meet, look at each other. We have to act like complete strangers in front of people."

I detach myself from Nott and give him a fleeting smile before I rush out.

I walk back to the dorms, determined to change into something that would cover my neck. I feel weird to think back to him being close to an other girl. I know what he's doing. I know he's doing it on purpose, but still. Something inside me is uneasy. I close the door behind me as I reach my room and rush to the drawer.