Chapter 66: Awake

Maeve:

I wake at the sound of the waves crashing on the beach below. I hear the seagulls crying in the rising morning. My eyes flutter open, the room drowned in a yellowish light.

I lift myself up, my cheek on Draco's shoulder, my hand on his chest to help me up. I silently get out of bed, picking my shirt up, pulling it on. I walk to the window and peer out.

I hear shuffling of sheets. Draco's body is moving sleepily, the blankets only covering the lower part of his body.

It's hard to truly believe all of this. Me and him. After all this time.

I smile, my attention falling on the floor next to the bed. My clothes untidily thrown around.

His body moves again, the sound calls me back to him. This time his eyes are opened.

"Maeve?" He breathes rubbing his eye.

"Hey" I take a step towards him.

"Good morning" he smiles, serenity in his eyes.

"Good morning, I'm sorry I woke you." I mumble.

His smile stays but his eyebrows furrow.

"Why are you always up so early?" His low voice trying to break into smoother one.

"I don't really like sleeping." I sigh attempting a smile

"You have night terrors don't you?" He sits, covering himself with the blankets.

"I guess you can call them that, yeah" I sigh.

I turn around pivoting on my tiptoes.

It makes me feel uncomfortably vulnerable to speak about it. It makes them feel more empowered over me. He taps the side of the bed to call me to it. I take a few steps towards him and sit, quite stiffly.

"What do you see?" He whispers, getting closer to me. His lips hovering on my jaw.

His hands come to aid to part my shirt open.

"I- I.." I stutter, my eyes closing.

He stops, looking at me seriously in the eyes.

"Sorry." He smiles, leaning back straight.

"I wanna know."

I swallow.

"I am drowning." My chest rises.

I've only ever shared this with Aria.

I lower my gaze.

"A figure appears. A man. He's in black cloaks, floating towards me."

I breath in and turn to face him. He raises his eyebrows encouragingly.

"As I try to scream I wake up. Most times I end up actually screaming, waking up the girls." I finish awkwardly.

He smiles and leans closer once more. I feel his lips over my skin, on my neck. This time he grabs me. His hands holding my body. Mine on his arms, I feel them tense as he lowers me down onto the bed. He leans over me, still half seated, his body turned to mine.

"It only happened once when you were with me." His eyes fixed on mine.

I do remember when.

"It happens more often when you are... not there" I end slowly.

His eyes flicker close, his lips nearing mine.

"I never wanted to leave you."

He growls softly.